Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Ziggy

Re: Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Post by Ziggy »

Purkeynator wrote:It has a usb port. Maybe it could be hacked to jack into it that way.

Yeah. I've thought that it at least has a USB port, so maybe there will eventually be a way to hack it. But, the install base for the Mini will likely remain very small. I wouldn't hold my breath for a way to hack it.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Unfortunately, while the USB port exists, there is no way to get code to run from it without having another injection point (the precious SD card). There is no way to get online, as the USB ethernet adapter does not function -- even all of the online configuration is stripped out of the Wii Mini System Menu. There are no games that read data through the USB port. Without some hardware level solution, it will remain unhackable.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

irixith wrote:Unfortunately, while the USB port exists, there is no way to get code to run from it without having another injection point (the precious SD card). There is no way to get online, as the USB ethernet adapter does not function -- even all of the online configuration is stripped out of the Wii Mini System Menu. There are no games that read data through the USB port. Without some hardware level solution, it will remain unhackable.

AFAIK, the Homebrew use to be installable from a DVD. They haven't made an updated image for it in ages, but you can still download the old one to install then update. So that being the case, all you would need is a mod chip for the Wii Mini, then you could install the HBC via DVD.

But, let's assume a mod chip comes out for the Mini, and you install the HBC no problem, would you still miss the SD card slot? I haven't yet modified my Wii, so I don't know. With the HBC and all the utilities available, is there a way to transfer saves via the USB port?
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Ziggy587 wrote:
irixith wrote:Unfortunately, while the USB port exists, there is no way to get code to run from it without having another injection point (the precious SD card). There is no way to get online, as the USB ethernet adapter does not function -- even all of the online configuration is stripped out of the Wii Mini System Menu. There are no games that read data through the USB port. Without some hardware level solution, it will remain unhackable.

AFAIK, the Homebrew use to be installable from a DVD. They haven't made an updated image for it in ages, but you can still download the old one to install then update. So that being the case, all you would need is a mod chip for the Wii Mini, then you could install the HBC via DVD.

But, let's assume a mod chip comes out for the Mini, and you install the HBC no problem, would you still miss the SD card slot? I haven't yet modified my Wii, so I don't know. With the HBC and all the utilities available, is there a way to transfer saves via the USB port?

Yes, you would need a modchip no matter what on the mini. Something at the hardware level that would allow HBC on there -- but whether or not it could even be installed is unknown. After all, the mini internals are different -- lord knows what else they've stripped/changed/crippled on the system menu.

If you had full access to the USB port, you wouldn't miss the SD card slot. You can transfer saves to your USB device without issue. The only one I'm not sure about is Riivolution -- customizing Smash Bros/Mario Kart/NSMB on the fly. With the retail disc, I've only ever used the SD card to do the on-the-fly change, I don't know if it reads from USB too. They've always been very anti-piracy. Bootmii backs up your NAND to SD as well, I don't remember if it backs up to USB too now. That's all I can think of.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I'm sure in time someone is willing to figure it out.

I still feel to this day that if someone figured out how to hack the PSP by messing with a little chip in the battery, they can hack any console. I don't know it just baffles me completely.

On a side note. If you have a WiiU and you need a Wiimote ($35-$40) and nunchuk ($15-$20) and you are in the market for Mario Kart Wii ($30-$40) to hold you off till MK8 you practically get a free system.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

So to breathe life back in here I went and got myself a Wii Mini.

It's adorable.

Light as hell. With the wifi, Gamecube hardware, and SD slots ripped out along with the top loader discuss tray the weight was chopped considerably.

Now as for the loss of HD capabilities: my eyes don't "burn or bleed" like some people from other forums have exaggerated. I see a small loss in fidelity on my 32 inch LG full HD TV. But Mario Galaxy still looks great and I can tell what is on screen. I'm happy that the system does support wide screen output even at SD resolution.

So do I recommend a purchase? Yes for two reasons: 1) I have have a breakdown of cost above this post if you seek multiple items that comes with this package. 2) it is a good value as an entry level console for $99 and with a large library of gems it's tough to go wrong. You can't go online, you can't buy VC games, you can't netflix, and you can't hack it but who cares. I got it to play games!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

casterofdreams wrote:Now as for the loss of HD capabilities: my eyes don't "burn or bleed" like some people from other forums have exaggerated. I see a small loss in fidelity on my 32 inch LG full HD TV. But Mario Galaxy still looks great and I can tell what is on screen. I'm happy that the system does support wide screen output even at SD resolution.

No Wii has HD capabilities.

The difference is being able to use component out for more vibrant and defined colors with a progressively scanned image. They both output at the same SD resolution (480i/p).

The other big advantage is component for Gamecube games via earlier model Wii's as Gamecube component cables cost a huge amount. I have a Wii U but still have my Wii hooked up purely for Gamecube games via component.

Other than the novelty of it being small, there is no real reason to buy the Mini, considering the you can get second hand Wii's for less than the cost of a new game.

Example
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Eh call me odd but I don't like second hand consoles of any kind (odd because I'm on a retro gaming site). I also can't tell much of difference between component and composite output on my 32 inch LG TV from about 6 feet away. Maybe I made a mistake to label it as HD. The Wii, when I had the full featured one, labeled it as EDTV.

I completely agree that it is a novelty as well. My real reason why I bought it was that I didn't feel all too comfortable having the Wii U in the basement area just in case something happens like flooding (I had a bad experience, losing all of my GC and Wii collection a couple of years ago). So $99 is easier to swallow a loss compared to my Zelda Wii U at $300. So I moved the Wii U to my room on the second floor and the Wii Mini is in the basement. I just wanted something down there. If I have people over they can just mess around with something like the Wii Mini rather than something a little more expensive.

I truly feel it's case by case. For me, for what I was looking for, it fit the bill. For others, enthusiast or other wise, maybe not so much.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

So the USB port in the back got me wondering if the Wii can actually go online with the official internet dongle that allowed for a hardwire connection.

Something like this (note: this is third party): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XWD1G ... mp_s_a_1_1
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Does the Wii Mini have the internet options in the setup menu? IDK if it has the same FW the original Wii did, or if Nintendo stripped out some features for the Mini.