Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Post by dunpeal2064 »

S-Video to Composite won't give you an S-Video quality image, though, so I would aim for S-Video to Component.
jacjon

Post by jacjon »

never really got into the original Wii but maybe I should give one of their new consoles a try
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

jacjon wrote:never really got into the original Wii but maybe I should give one of their new consoles a try

Rather than the Wii mini, I would recommend the WiiU for playing Wii games now.

WiiU Pros:
*The backwards compatibility is practically perfect. It's not even using emulation because the hardware is so similar, the WiiU just reboots into Wii mode like dual-booting an older operating system.
*The WiiU can play Wii games in HDMI. This is the only official legit Nintendo product that will let you play your Wii games via HDMI.
*A Used WiiU is pretty cheap right now. You will certainly find it for less than the Wii mini.
*WiiU naturally plays WiiU games. I know this seems obvious, but it's worth pointing out that the WiiU has a surprisingly underrated library.

WiiU Cons:
*WiiU doesn't come with gamecube controller ports like the original Wii. This same Con also applies to the Wii mini.
*WiiU doesn't play gamecube games. Likewise, this same Con also applies to the Wii mini.

Altogether, I recommend the WiiU over the Wii mini for caching up on the Wii library.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Can the WiiU be coerced into playing GC games at all? Are there hacks or mods that take care of that in combination with USB adapters?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

marurun wrote:Can the WiiU be coerced into playing GC games at all? Are there hacks or mods that take care of that in combination with USB adapters?

Not sure about the USB adapters but Hori and PDP made GameCube style controllers that are actually classic controllers. They plug into the Wiimote. They aren’t bad at all.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:Can the WiiU be coerced into playing GC games at all? Are there hacks or mods that take care of that in combination with USB adapters?

Yes and yes. You can soft mod the vWii and play GCN games from there. You can use the GCN USB controller adapters too.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Ziggy587 wrote:

Yes and yes. You can soft mod the vWii and play GCN games from there. You can use the GCN USB controller adapters too.

Including the same one used for SmashU. I've also read you can use any bluetooth controller, so PS3 and PS4 controllers are supposedly possible with hacks.