SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Ack

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by Ack »

I'm very happy to see Bonkers get some love. It's a great and easily accessible SNES game that I recommend for folks who are taking an interest in video games and learning the basics. It's easy to learn, features some gorgeous graphics, and pulls from popular culture elements that most people are aware of, so it makes for a perfect candidate. I wish more folks would get to it, but unfortunately it appears to have been largely forgotten. I'm glad to see you reversing that trend.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:I'm very happy to see Bonkers get some love. It's a great and easily accessible SNES game that I recommend for folks who are taking an interest in video games and learning the basics. It's easy to learn, features some gorgeous graphics, and pulls from popular culture elements that most people are aware of, so it makes for a perfect candidate. I wish more folks would get to it, but unfortunately it appears to have been largely forgotten. I'm glad to see you reversing that trend.

Thanks for watching Ack

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - Splatterhouse 1-3
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Great video, every Halloween the first game I think of is Splatterhouse.

I have such a soft spot for the Splatterhouse series. I'm not really that into horror movies today but when I was a kid the classic 80's slasher villains like Jason, Freddy and Michael were larger than life like some kind of anti-super heroes and I loved the Evil Dead films as well.

Splatterhouse does such a good job of distilling both the over the top gore and cheesy nature of these things into video game form. Like you said that intro to Splatterhouse 2 is just KILLER, pun intended. Something a lot of people don't notice is the continuity between the first two games, the first level of Splatterhouse 2 is actually the burnt down remains of the house from the first game which is a really cool detail. Splatterhouse understands exactly what it wants to be and then it goes and nails that theme with no unnecessary frills. The games aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but neither are the films they're trying to emulate.

Playing as a Jason-like character and beating the shit out of grotesque horror monsters was just such a perfect concept for its time and a perfect fit for the edgy image of the Genesis. I'm always surprised the games weren't more popular but I guess they were popular enough to make three of them. Namco's support of the system was a real boon even if games like these and the Rolling Thunder series didn't get much attention they're really great parts of the system's library (though I'm always bummed there was no Splatterhouse 1 or Rolling Thunder 1 ports to complete their respective trilogies).

The 2010 "remake" is similar in its B-movie horror nature and is a very love-it-or-hate-it affair. The best part of it is probably the fact that the first three games are included and the first game is a port of the arcade game instead of the stripped down TG16 port.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Splatterhouse 3 is one of the most underrated beat 'em ups ever. More folks need to play through it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Exhuminator wrote:Splatterhouse 3 is one of the most underrated beat 'em ups ever. More folks need to play through it.

I always appreciate a more open ended beat em up that allows you to make your own path so to speak. Kinda like Peacekeepers
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - Super Nintendo Games that are better than their Sega Genesis counterparts

Thursday, November 2, 2017 - Shadows of Adam

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 - Inindo: Way of the Ninja
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Boss vids my man. Watched 'em this morning. I still haven't made it through Inindo.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I know this place has a big 7th Saga following, I think anyone who digs that game would dig Inindo as well (except for the NES-ish visuals)
Ack

Post by Ack »

Finally we get some Inindo talk around here. That game has been on my to play list for years.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Me too. I'm too scared though.