Final Fantasy VII Review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy VII Review

Post by irixith »

final fight cd wrote:
markeconrad wrote:I'm sorry, but I just don't really see FF7 as a good story as much as a rambling mess of a plotline. I don't know if some stuff was missed in translation, but I felt more like I was falling through the plot than I was exploring it. I think the biggest problem was the lack of character development. I mean it's hard to care about what's going on when you could give to shits about the characters.

FFVII has an involved, complex story. i bet the average game will need to play and beat the game at least 2 times, if not more, to fully grasp and understand the story.

are you crazy about character development? the whole game IS character development.

markeconrad is right, the plot is a gigantic, convoluted mess. Read it and tell me that's a plot that makes any sort of logical sense. Good old bizarre new generation Square storytelling.

Also, the game is not character development. Every character is simply a hollow stereotype (again, consistent with Square's new generation Final Fantasy games). You spend the majority of the game chasing Sephiroth around, and then he shockingly kills a main party member -- probably more what people remember than the actual progression of the entire game. All you can give VII is that its characters perhaps have a more defined back story and persona than the games that came before it -- but that in itself would be an interesting argument. They certainly don't have much progression throughout the game, other than being madder after the surprising death.

Boring game, practically incomprehensible plot. The beginning of the murder of the series. How they managed to turn it almost completely around with IX and then fall so far off the map, I have no idea.
davidhass3lh0ff
16-bit

Post by davidhass3lh0ff »

i think thats the beauty of the game, the story is so massive and it will take more then one playthrough to fully understand it, i have beaten this game 3 times and i still feal i have more to get out of it.

thank you im glade everyone have enjoyed this video and yess i didnt bother with a intro this time because i feal this review dident need one and i dident want to myself overshadow this game in any way so i tried to keep it simple.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I just watched your Master System video (I haven't bothered with the FFVII one yet), and found it quite enjoyable! Good work so far.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

FF7 is the first and only RPG that i have ever beaten. i have tried plenty and couldn't finish any of them. i couldn't even finish the best game ever - chrono trigger. i found it too boring. so i understand that my high regard for the game probably has to do with nostalgia and the fact i have really nothing to compare it to.

but what i like about the complex story is picking up information with each new gameplay. with each subsequent play through more pieces fell into place and the story made that much more sense and became that much more brilliant. so yes, i understand why the person who only beats it once hates it and would say the plot is incomprehensible. like i said before, this is a game you just can't beat once and be done with it. to fully enjoy it, i feel you need to beat it several times.

and the characters are hollow and have no progression throughout the game? half the game is playing through back stories and learning about the characters and gaining an insight into who they are and why they do what they do.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

While we're taking about VII...

I'm not a fan of it. I don't really enjoy playing it mostly because of the horrible art direction. The pre-rendered backgrounds are excellent but I couldn't stand the inconsistency of going from a 3-foot tall spikey-haired polygon to a perfectly proportioned humanoid during battles.

I'm not a fan of the characters either... Don't know why. I just don't find them appealing.

I do like the equipment system though. Kinda reminds me of FF VI.
markeconrad
24-bit

Post by markeconrad »

dsheinem wrote:
markeconrad wrote:when you could give to shits

This is one of the most fascinating grammar and spelling errors I've ever seen.

:) I dig it. hahaha
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

final fight cd wrote:but what i like about the complex story is picking up information with each new gameplay. with each subsequent play through more pieces fell into place and the story made that much more sense and became that much more brilliant. so yes, i understand why the person who only beats it once hates it and would say the plot is incomprehensible. like i said before, this is a game you just can't beat once and be done with it. to fully enjoy it, i feel you need to beat it several times.

and the characters are hollow and have no progression throughout the game? half the game is playing through back stories and learning about the characters and gaining an insight into who they are and why they do what they do.

I've beat it multiple times from 1997 to last year. I still consider the story completely retarded.

Even with the backstories, the characters are still pretty weak (not that it really matters, which RPG has well fleshed out characters anyway?). I'd rather play FFIV, VI or IX or DQ III, IV, V or IV.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

i thought it was brilliant and you thought it was retarded. completely different sides of the spectrum. haha.

it must not have been that bad if you have beaten it several times.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

final fight cd wrote:i thought it was brilliant and you thought it was retarded. completely different sides of the spectrum. haha.

it must not have been that bad if you have beaten it several times.

I liked exploring and collecting stuff. The story was the weakest part of the game, I thought. The atmosphere, music, graphics (considering the time) and stuff to do is all good.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Nice review. FF7 is awesome imo. Meh, screw the haters :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328