Game makers corner

Post game-related video clips here
crazyoldman

Game makers corner

Post by crazyoldman »

Creating games has been my dream since the second grade of primary school. Thirty years ago I made few text games developed in Basic on my Atari 800XL, then I developed one simple game on Amiga in Amos Basic.
After over thirty years, I decided to start making my dreams come true. Inspired by games like Lotus series, Crazy Cars, Jagular xj220, I have started the Short Racing Story game project. After a year of working on the concept, code, graphics and music, I have created a demo of the game you can watch here: https://youtu.be/9VBw_UmsiUk I want to finish the game with or without Kickstarter help, but I'm looking for help with graphics (because I'm not a graphic artist).

I would like to inspire and motivate people to create games, but also to find here motivation to continue working.
Do you creating your own games, game conpcet, game graphics or game music?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Game makers corner

Post by Anapan »

I think your game looks fun! With the garage option it reminds me a bit of that old DOS series Street Rod which my brother and I used to spend countless hours on. I also appreciate that you used that sine wave algorithm for the curves like that pseudo-racing game I used to play on my TI85.

I also started with Basic. I was given a Tandy 1000 4Mhz computer in elementary school instead of the Nintendo I asked for. I needed to type my games in. Good on my parents I guess (I didn't think so at the time).

I made a lot of unfinished games back in the mid 90s using a few APIs I found and bought. I always had to rely on stolen assets as I'm artistically lacking so despite them being fully playable, I've never shared them. After high school I tried in earnest to develop a 2D MMORPG based on a clone of the PS1 Castlevania SOTN engine. Not having the resources to deal with intercontinental lag, it was not able to play well outside of a LAN. Gathering development funds through social manipulation is just not my thing, tho it's a lot easier now than it was in the '90s. I saw my game idea got made on the xbox 360 many years later as a DLC fest.

I really admire anyone who follows their dreams and keeps pursuing them over an extended time. I wish I had the skills you're looking for and the time to apply them, but as I said, I am lacking creative skills. I will join your Kickstarter if you make one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage