Dual Shock 4 working on Gcube https://youtu.be/Z_oBGMM3vXE

Post game-related video clips here
ave1
8-bit

Dual Shock 4 working on Gcube https://youtu.be/Z_oBGMM3vXE

Post by ave1 »

Back in the early 80s many gamers were playing games like Centipede and Defender on home consoles with their right hand on the joystick or directional knob/pad.

Playing games that required exact on-screen positioning of the ship/character/gun was the heart of gameplay during that time period and right-handed gamers could really excel with a joystick held by the right hand. But as games evolved away from genres like Centipede and toward Mario World type games, game console manufacturers like Nintendo starting making the arcade sticks and directional pads to be positioned on the left. Having the buttons accessible to the right hand may have made good sense for playing Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Also, platformers became increasingly popular and the left hand could easily handle the simplistic left or right directionals.

So thus ended the era of right-handed joysticks. 

When it comes to being a right-handed gamer, If you've ever tried using a Genesis arcade stick to play an Atari classic game you may find it unnatural and even frustrating to have to play with the left hand on the stick. Those Atari games you are playing were meant to be played with the right hand, not the left.

I have put some effort into determining what can be done about this- and have created a tutorial on converting controllers/arcade sticks from the Sega Genesis/NES generation and even Sony generation of gaming from left hand controls to right hand controls. All it takes is a simple adapter and I thought some of you here might be interested in checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUFRtBVYU4

Let me know what you think about playing games with the joystick on the right instead of the left.
Last edited by ave1 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Re: Left to right hand arcade stick and game pad conversion

Post by Kidpanda »

I'm left handed and truthfully I grew up in the Atari Era. I am pretty used to both ways of playing and it only takes me a couple of minutes to get accustomed to one of the other ways of play. I do miss having that option on old arcade games. :cry:
ave1
8-bit

Post by ave1 »

I always like more options and not less.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Hey OP! have you tried this one?

Its a Sega saturn arcade stick that you can change positions on it. With a re-positioning you can make this arcade stick for a lefty or a righty.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

flojocabron wrote:Image

Hey OP! have you tried this one?

Its a Sega saturn arcade stick that you can change positions on it. With a re-positioning you can make this arcade stick for a lefty or a righty.

Problem with that stick is it's a Mission Stick, the joystick itself has a MASSIVE deadzone. Works great for Panzer Dragoon, fighters? Not so much :(
ave1
8-bit

Post by ave1 »

Sweet! I didn't know about this Saturn flightstick. I'll definitely look for one :)
ave1
8-bit

Mod your Sega controller for a better handle on your games

Post by ave1 »

I wanted to share a tutorial on making an effective Atari 2600/7800 controller out of a Sega Master System "Control Stick". The controller can also be used to play games on C64, Genesis, Colecovision, and the Sega Master System. There's some Desert Falcon and Jr. Pac-Man gameplay to demonstrate the accuracy you can expect out of the modded joystick. Hope some of you can benefit from this:
https://youtu.be/SXN4silDFiQ
ave1
8-bit

Using controller adapters on Atari 5200 can be great fun

Post by ave1 »

Check out my new presentation/review on the Masterplay Interface Clone adapter for the Atari 5200. Not only does it allow for Atari 2600, Genesis, and Master System controller compatibility but it allows for trackball compatibility on almost every Atari 5200 game in the library with surprising results on Defender, Frogger, and Gyruss.

The presentation also covers ways to use Playstation and NES game pads and joysticks on the 5200. Who wouldn't want to give that a try?!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qcW_8Fb4Y
ave1
8-bit

Re: Using controller adapters on Atari 5200 can be great fun

Post by ave1 »

Here is the follow-up video with additional controllers shown playing 5200 games. Highlights include flight yokes with the adapter for converting PC gameport controllers to Atari 5200 (made by bohoki at Atariage), as well as the PC UltraRacer playing Pole Position. You can also see a nunchuck controller from the PS One era being put to use on Q-bert as well as an original Xbox controller-S in action on Defender. The Masterplay Interface Clone from last month's video is the primary adapter used to get the controllers working in these last two games (along with secondary adapter(s)). You can get this adapter from Atariguy1021 via Ebay (search Masterplay 5200). The Tototek adapter is able to be bought from the Tototek website. Check out the presentation here: http://youtu.be/Iaepo_IlY3w
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Using controller adapters on Atari 5200 can be great fun

Post by CRTGAMER »

That is very very cool! Suggest links in the OP and in your Videos for the various adapters.

Imagine a PS1/PS2 Arcade Stick for all the 5200 Arcade games such as Robotron, Defender and Galaxian. Robotron in particular could match the Arcade cab with a Twin Arcade stick such as the Blaze Twinshock.

The PC adapter from Atari Age especially intriguing, there are such a huge variety of the old gameport sticks available.

Hey I remember you! I linked your video in my Spinner Guide concerning the Namco NeGcon with adapters to work on Xbox and PS2 games. Neat stuff.

I am still on a hunt for X-Connection years later, got an extra you want to sale?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425