Storing magazines

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: Storing magazines

Post by Ghudda »

TSTR wrote:by
the
toilet

Also this. I have a very large stack of Retro Gamer magazines located atop my bathroom counter at all times. I'd suggest laminating each magazine if you do decide to store them in your bathroom, in case one some how ends up finding its way into the toilet.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Ghudda wrote:
TSTR wrote:by
the
toilet

Also this. I have a very large stack of Retro Gamer magazines located atop my bathroom counter at all times. I'd suggest laminating each magazine if you do decide to store them in your bathroom, in case one some how ends up finding its way into the toilet.

How do you laminate a Magazine, i mean like each page what?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Cronozilla wrote:Take a note from comic collectors: bag and board them. That stuff is built to preserve the life of printed paper.

BCW makes them:
http://www.amazon.com/toys-games/dp/B002MRLZKS
http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Magazine-Back ... gy_t_img_y

as well as magazine size storage boxes, if that's what you want. The magazine trays would work as well.

Thats awesome! Looks like the perfect way to store as long as you don't mind them not being displayed. Very affordable too.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

That actually sounds like the best solution, heck I need to do it with my stack of comics I got at goodwill for $10...I'm kinda tired of having them wrapped up in the bag but don't want to store them wrong and mess them up before I get a chance to read them...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Check out Herring and Robinson's website at http://herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com
And have your comic books and magazines custom bound.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

If you have a complete set and look at them regularly, I think having them bound is the classiest option. (I've never actually done it myself, but it's what you find in academic libraries and I'm a fan of the concept.)

If you are missing issues or almost never look at them BUT still want to keep them safe, I'd recommend bagging and boarding. I WILL SAY THIS about bagging and boarding: get "buffered" or "alkaline" boards and DON'T tape the top-flap shut. Even if a board is labeled "acid-free" or "archival" they can often become acidic over time and may end up needing to be replaced after a decade or two. That may not sound like a big deal, but it's annoying. As for taping the top flap, I've ended up accidentally getting the tape stuck to my comics/magazines enough times to have taught me it's a bad idea. Just fold the flap down or tuck it into the back and you'll be fine.
Oh, and I'd also recommend keeping them in a plastic box like this instead of the cardboard ones you might find in a comic shop. That cardboard is never acid-free and will degrade over time. It's more expensive but if you get things that last, you'll never need to worry about replacing them!

(I manage the local history section of a library so archival standards are what I'm about!)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

They also make bags that are resealable. No tape required.