DIY Cover art - your own spin on games

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: DIY Cover art - your own spin on games

Post by REPO Man »

Per a mod's request, I'm moving all future talk of DIY cover art here, covering both custom artwork and covers based on fake games.

My fake covers gallery on Imgur

My custom covers gallery on Imgur
marurun

Post by marurun »

I thought you already had a thread for this stuff. That's why I commented the way I did. But if you didn't you should. If that's something you regularly work on, sharing it in a centralized thread makes sense. That way you can update it whenever you add new covers.

EDIT: flippin forum confusing me today. Yes, this thread is perfect for this. Use this thread. This is the place for this stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I wish someone made DIY cover art for some of these retro collections on the switch, where the cover art tells you that you're getting a trio of games when there's actually only one on the cartridge. Like the Devil May Cry Triple Pack needs a more honest cover that ONLY shows the first DMC game since it's the only one on the cart. Instead of this big fat lie being displayed on my shelf:

I'd rather something that looked llke this:

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The Switch release of Borderlands Legendary Collection did the same damn thing, except they had some wording on the cover but it can be hard to notice. Thankfully the Bioshock collection for Switch includes all three games on the cart... is what I would say if a huge chunk of the games weren't left off the cart and therefore necessitating a hefty download for each game.

The irony is that I only bought those releases for the same reason I buy a Switch game physically, and that's because having most of the game on the game card helped to save space on the microSD card. Of course if the game is below 1gb in size I'm more likely to just stick with the digital version.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

REPO Man wrote:The Switch release of Borderlands Legendary Collection did the same damn thing, except they had some wording on the cover but it can be hard to notice. Thankfully the Bioshock collection for Switch includes all three games on the cart... is what I would say if a huge chunk of the games weren't left off the cart and therefore necessitating a hefty download for each game.

The irony is that I only bought those releases for the same reason I buy a Switch game physically, and that's because having most of the game on the game card helped to save space on the microSD card. Of course if the game is below 1gb in size I'm more likely to just stick with the digital version.

The funny thing is, I don't even get mad about this sort of thing. That's because I look at it from the perspective of what I'm getting rather than what I'm not getting. I can buy a used copy of the Batman: Arkham Collection on the Switch for less than what it originally sold for and be quite happy to have a physical copy of Arkham Asylum, arguably the most important entry in the franchise, that I got at a reasonable price for what I'm getting. I can live without having Arkham City and Arkham Knight on the cart, It's cool just to have ANY of those games physically on the Switch and Asylum is arguably the best choice. Going back to my previous example of the Devil May Cry collection, the first one is really the only one I care about anyway (since the sequels all suck) and it's the one that's on the cart.

However, It's just that little OCD part of my brain that hates seeing a game on my shelf advertising three games when I know it only really contains one of them.