Has anyone done the cassette case thing for GB carts?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Has anyone done the cassette case thing for GB carts?

Post by noiseredux »

I've seen some folks using cassette cases with custom art for their GB carts. Has anyone done this? Where do you find a lot of covers? Did you have to make your own (I'm not too photoshoppy). Is there a big selection already made?

Tell me the pros/cons on going this route. I think DS cases are harder to come by/more expensive than cassette cases of course.

Also, feel free to use this thread to post/share any custom cassette art or templates as well. (Or show off pics of your collection if you've done this already).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Has anyone done the cassette case thing for GB carts?

Post by noiseredux »

Nobody's done this? Look how nice these things look! Wayyyy cooler than throwing carts in a binder.

(pics taken from this blog: http://thirdkoopa.blogspot.com/2014/10/ ... -into.html )

I've started trying to collect some printable ones I've found online on various blogs and forums. I might try to go this route myself, as DS cases are definitely more expensive. I feel like I can find cassettes are yard sales for pennies. My only real concern is that for covers I can't find, I'm not sure I have the skills nor patience to attempt to make my custom covers.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Have you checked Etsy? It’s usually a great place to get high-quality custom case art.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have you checked Etsy? It’s usually a great place to get high-quality custom case art.

I have. I've checked a few places, and it seems like I'd be paying $4-$8 (+shipping) for each piece of custom art/case. If I could just print these off myself for free, it'd be much cheaper haha.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Where are you finding all the cassette cases? An alternative might be to use cheap DS or 3DS-style cases for GB games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:Where are you finding all the cassette cases? An alternative might be to use cheap DS or 3DS-style cases for GB games.

There's a chain of thrift stores out here that sell walls of cassettes for super cheap. Or yard sales. I mean, you can even just order boxes of cassette cases on Amazon that come out to about 50 cents a piece.

Back in the day I used to use DS cases for this kind of thing, but you can't find them as commonly or cheaply anymore. I have seen the knock-off DS cases (which still aren't as cheap as 50 cents each), but from what I've read they're really bad - don't hold GBA carts properly; don't close flush like real DS cases.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Did you ever hunt down some cases and try it out?

I always thought an appropriately sized antique card catalog would be great for cart games.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I haven't done this, but I've been considering it for original GB and GBC games. If you give it a try, let me know.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I keep my GB games in trading card sleeves in a binder. This is a clever idea though and it looks pretty sweet.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:Did you ever hunt down some cases and try it out?

I haven't, but I'd still like to at some point. I have a bunch of templates saved. It's on the back burner for sure.