Has anyone done the cassette case thing for GB carts?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy

Re: Has anyone done the cassette case thing for GB carts?

Post by Ziggy »

Not sure how I missed this thread until now.

Noise, as far as those cheap knockoff DS cases, I have a bunch of those. I originally got them for some loose DS carts that I had, but then I used the left overs for GBA games. I bought more with the intent on making a case for every GB/C/A cart that I own, but then I decided to go the opposite direction and sell off a lot of my collection. I had thought about doing the cassette case thing, but I became satisfied with the cheap DS cases. It would look more uniform on the shelf, and I wouldn't have to make any cassette covers in Photoshop since you can find pretty much any game in the DS style template on The Cover Project.

Anyway, the knockoff cases ARE extremely cheap. And not anywhere close in quality to a real Nintendo DS case. However, they get the job done. You gotta figure, they will spend most of their life just showing the spines on your shelf. But yeah, they feel really cheap. They are finicky to snap close. Once you snap them closed they stay closed, but they feel very cheap to snap close. A GBA cart will snap into place and hold very well, but you wont be able to close the case with a GBA cart inserted unless you modify them a little. I know, that's kind of insane. But it's easy with a simple pair of end nippers. If you look at the picture of the knockoff cases, see the one that's open? On the left side, where the manual would go, see how there's that horizontal support piece at the top? That will interfere with the GBA cart. So you just have to nip the middle of it out.

So those are the annoying parts, but like I said, they get the job done. I have a bunch of them on my shelf with inserts that I printed and they look pretty mint. And I don't even have that good of a printer. Cheap as they are, I was satisfied with them. If you want, I could send you one and you can examine it for yourself.

For the cassette cases, I did have two concerns. One, wouldn't the cart rattle inside the case? Granted, they would be sitting on the shelf most of the time, but still. And two, a cassette case isn't large enough to hold the odd manual that I have. With the DS cases, even the cheap ones, I can keep the manual in the case with the cart. That was a huge plus for me.

If you do got the cassette route, I could probably easily make covers for any you can't find. I'd imagine the cassette J card template is floating around out there, and it probably wouldn't take much effort to convert existing covers.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I go back and forth on the cassettes or DS cases. As you said, the DS cases is prob easier/less work/less looking for covers. Eh, I don't really have time to jump into the project right now, so I'll mull it over for a while.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have a bunch of DS sized covers (and have resized a few for 3DS since I use those cases) that I'd be happy to share. While my photoshop skills are amateur at best, I've made a few myself (mainly NES) that I couldn't find and would be happy to try to fill in any gaps you need filled.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

They look amazing.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05