Retrotink 2x on an LCD monitor?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Retrotink 2x on an LCD monitor?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I play most HDMI stuff on either my 32 (mostly) or 27 inch monitors instead of a TV.. Does the tink output 16:9 or 4:3? How would a monitor deal with it. I'm thinking it would just stretch to fill the screen? I'm pretty sure neither of my monitors have an option to set anything to 4:3 like a lot of TVs do. Could be wrong.

My Last CRT is getting wonky :cry: and i'm looking for something cheap for my NES before i decide if im going to look for another CRT (Hate lugging these things home only to have all kinds of geometry, pincushion ect. issues), start buying HDMI FPGA consoles, or modding everything and using something like the OSSC.

EDIT: Also, the second after i buy one will a Retrotink 3x with scan lines be released? LOL
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Retrotink 2x on an LCD monitor?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here's a good thread where we got pretty deep into the 4:3 discussion on retro tink 2x. Within it I also linked an interview with creator where he talks about it.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=52314

In short, gameplay window should be 4:3 on most sets. May have to go into TV menus.

Keep in mind, no 480p input.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Thanks
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

If you get one, let me know how it goes.

2 of my LCDs don't even have s vid or composite. Been thinking of getting one to future proof my setup.

As I mentioned in that thread, all 3 of my TVs (differing Vizios) will allow me to manipulate from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa at 480p over HDMI. When they go to 720p & up they're locked at 16:9, so this was really important to my hunt as well.

I'd recommend using a blu ray player or xbox 360 to force 480p with 4:3 source material to ensure your TV will allow you to alter letter box vs widescreen in menus (at that specific res over HDMI).

SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Jagosaurus wrote:I'd recommend using a blu ray player or xbox 360 to force 480p with 4:3 source material to ensure your TV will allow you to alter letter box vs widescreen in menus (at that specific res over HDMI).

I will try that today with my monitor. Thanks.

If i can find a 4:3 source on the 360.. lol
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, throw in an oXbox compatible game in your 360 that doesn't support widescreen. I used Halo CE.

I did the same with a 4:3 DVD in BD player. Forcing both to 480p in device output menu, then tinkering further with TV menus.

Now... I just need to buy a retro tink 2x :lol:

SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Used retroarch to output "480p" (720x480) and my monitor stretched it.. dug around in the monitors settings and there is an option to not stretch it. Nice. Will be kind of a pain in the butt to do each time tho haha.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jagosaurus wrote:If you get one, let me know how it goes.

2 of my LCDs don't even have s vid or composite. Been thinking of getting one to future proof my setup.

My X-RGB3 went on the fritz (some researching indicates it's probably some capacitor issues in the power supply and I don't want to muck with that) so I picked up a Retrotink and an OSSC to convert all my retro consoles to a format my TV can handle. It has HDMI, component/composite, and VGA (which is what I had the X-RGB output). So I've got my S-Video and Composite consoles going into the Retrotink, which then outputs to the OSSC, along with my Genesis with HD Retrovision Component cables (my native Component stuff goes straight to the TV) and my Dreamcast VGA, and all that goes to HDMI to my TV. And I have to say, the experience has been great so far. The image has been a lot cleaner than what I experienced on the X-RGB3 and I haven't had to futz with settings like I did with the X-RGB3. I also don't experience video desyncs on white flashes like I used to on the X-RGB3. Was definitely a worthwhile purchase.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah. I hear ya. The alternative is $300 for a XRGB mini though with a button on the remote for it handled at device level.