Anyone got any ideas how to add middle shelves to a Kallax

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Anyone got any ideas how to add middle shelves to a Kallax

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I'd love to add some to mine. You can see the normal shelf on the right and the modded ones in the bigger one on the right.
I got some ideas of my own but would love to hear others opinions. I know you can use Ikea VARIERA shelf inserts but i dont like the look.
EDIT: Another example of the VARIERA shelf inserts https://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/12/mak ... adsax.html
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Anyone got any ideas how to add middle shelves to a Kall

Post by samsonlonghair »

Well brother, I ain’t no carpenter, but I figure that if I wanted to add extra in-between shelves, I would bust out my measuring tape and start penciling marks on the wood. I might cut some Masonite to the appropriate size, then mark on the kallax where I want to install the new shelf. I would use the marks to guide me when I install small~ish wood/particle board blocks. Drill a teensy pilot hole with an electric drill. Then use wood screws to secure the wood blocks to the inside of the kallax. Then just rest the new Masonite shelf on the wood blocks. The new shelf is essentially a lintel resting on two or four wood blocks, which in turn are affixed to the kallax.

And naturally, if you don’t care for Masonite, then choose a different material. Masonite is just what I would pick because it’s cheap and most retro game consoles are light weight. It would hold up a Super Nintendo easily, but I would reinforce the whole thing before I tried resting an original XBOX on a Masonite shelf. You can use whatever material works best for you.

Edit: I seem to recall that Ziggy587 knows a thing or two about carpentry - certainly more than I know. It might be worthwhile to ask him what he thinks. Don’t be terribly alarmed if Ziggy tells you to throw out your ikea shelf and build something nice from scratch. :lol:
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Sounds similar to what i was planning to try. I was also thinking of just using 3 pieces of thin wood (painted black). Two smaller ones on each side hold up the larger in the middle of the shelf.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think the easiest way a non-carpenter type person can do this is with some simple right angle brackets. Go to the hardware store and ask where you can find right angle brackets. They come in a wide variety of sizes, both metal and plastic. Just use your head for what size you think you need. To be honest, I don't think there's a wrong answer since the shelves are pretty small. Usually you can find right angle brackets with matching screws. If get brackets without screws, just get some appropriate size wood screws. The size of the screw isn't crucial, just make sure they're not too big to fit the hole of the brackets, not too small to just pass right through the hole, and not too long for the material you're using for the shelf.

As for what material to use for the shelf itself, there's a number of options. Since that shelf is wood grain (faux or not) I would probably use pine and stain it something close to match. Measure what length and width you need for the shelf. Then find a piece of pine whose width fits on of those dimensions. Then just calculate how many pieces you can cut from the total length of the pine. That'll determine how many pieces you need to buy.

You can buy composite stock that's already finished with faux wood grain, saving you the step of staining it. But keep in mind that if you cut it into shelves then you will have unfinished edges that you can't just stain. This'll also be true if you wanna use some kind of particle board. Pine and small amount of stain would probably be cheaper anyway (at least in the US this is true).

Plywood would never bow or warp, but it'll also have an unfinished edge that you'd have to be more of a carpenter type person to deal with.

I don't know what your skill level is, so I don't mean to be condescending... At the very least you will need a circular saw, a small level, a drill (be sure to pre-drill all the holes for the screws!), and a little elbow grease. A t-square or speed square would get you better results for marking the cuts. You could probably get away with using a jig saw instead of a circular saw, but the cut would be a lot rougher. If you can get a piece of pine with a width that matches the depth of the shelf you need, then you only need to make cuts for the length of the shelves. If this is the case, the factory edge of the pine will always be front facing, which will look nice. So even if your cuts are rough, they'll be kinda hidden.

Pine is really soft, though. You can pretty easily mark it up if you're constantly sliding things in and out of the shelves. Me personally, I wouldn't even worry about it. But if you wanted to go the extra mile, you can put some kind of clear coat over the stain for protections. Like polyurethane. Or, of course, spray them black instead of staining, and then build up a finish.

samsonlonghair wrote:Don’t be terribly alarmed if Ziggy tells you to throw out your ikea shelf and build something nice from scratch.

Heh. From what I've seen, Ikea furniture isn't very rigid. It isn't hard to build something more sturdy than Ikea. But it's not like I've built all my own furniture. I have plenty of cheap knock-down stuff that I had to either repair or modify to strengthen. That darker shelf is holding two CRTs, so it can't be THAT bad. :lol:
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Thanks Ziggy. Whatever i do i do plan to brace it in the rear. It looks like it can hold my 27 inch CRT (I got that pic by google-ing Kallax CRT) but i want to be sure hehe
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Gonna have to figure out how this was done
Favorite solution i've found so far.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:I think the easiest way a non-carpenter type person can do this is with some simple right angle brackets. Go to the hardware store and ask where you can find right angle brackets. They come in a wide variety of sizes, both metal and plastic. Just use your head for what size you think you need. To be honest, I don't think there's a wrong answer since the shelves are pretty small. Usually you can find right angle brackets with matching screws. If get brackets without screws, just get some appropriate size wood screws.

Right-angle brackets, of course! Now that you've said it, it seems so obvious to me. That would be easier than using wood blocks.

SuperDerpBro wrote:Gonna have to figure out how this was done
Favorite solution i've found so far.

Those little cloth bins at the bottom are available at any dollar store. I wouldn't be surprised if Ikea sold those as accessories right nest to the kallax.

The wire shelves look more like a closet or kitchen cabinet solution to me. Check out the "storage solutions" isle of Home Depot or Lowes. They usually have a bunch of closet maid adjustable shelving.
You can also find stuff like this at dollar stores or at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

It looks like they just got some standard stainless steel/brass shelf brackets and painted them white.

The wire shelves are probably just closet shelving turned backwards and cut to fit in the holes. They could have cannibalized a shoe rack or something like that as well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Personally, I'd rather have something solid than a wire rack shelf.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

But a wire rack could make your console run 1/10 a degree cooler due to better air flow! :D