Road to a new gaming setup

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Road to a new gaming setup

Post by Erik_Twice »

Wow chuckster I didn't see your answer!

First, if you do know how to make your own Phoenix connectors, I would love to hear about it. Like you say, they are very expensive. Personally, I would prefer to use them than to use another "box" to my already cluttered setup.

The question I have is: Is it possible to use CRT Emudriver on a normal PC? As in, can I add a secondary GPU and run 15Khz games without the need for a second computer?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Here's how my setup looks right now:
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-30 at 15.37.57.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-30 at 15.37.57.jpeg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 24112 times
Klogen

Post by Klogen »

chuckster wrote:I recently bought an Extron 300 Series 128 HVA model. Don't forget about audio switching whichever you get. Since my Crosspoint had audio capabilities I made my own phoenix>RCA connectors but I would actually recommend getting a 12-input RCA audio switcher (Extron make some that are just as solid as their other gear and pretty cheap) instead because the price and/or time investment is higher with the phoenix setup. You can sometimes save some money on non-HVA models too. I also recommend getting a 450 series (with the large white buttons), just because they're newer and way cooler looking.

Despite doing all that work, a 240p emulation PC is the primary way I play my games. With the newer versions of CRT_Emudriver supporting better AMD cards (I have a 6870 but you can use nicer ones), and Retroarch implementing CRT Switchres, it's never been easier to do or better quality once you get it set up. You can even output to both a 15KHz screen and a 31Khz CRT PC monitor to cover (virtually) all bases from the 2600 to modern PC games.

If you have any questions I am happy to help, I went from knowing nothing about CRT_Emudriver (and even botched my first install) to loving it and using it almost exclusively for everything but the latest games.

is it well working ?
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

The Crosspoint? Yeah, I've never heard of anyone having issues with them. They are broadcast-level equipement.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Erik_Twice wrote:Here's how my setup looks right now:

Sorry for the late reply, but here are some resources for making audio adapters for the Extron:

Since I replied to you, dbElectronics actually designed a PCB just for this purpose. Retro Gaming Cables in the UK picked up the Open Source design and now sell these for $3 each. Right now they only offer the output version, but after New Years it may be worth it to message them to see if they have more input boards available.

This image is what I used to make my own adapters:

All you need is wire (I used speaker wire), 3.5mm 5-pin Phoenix plugs (they're surprisingly expensive, I got mine from Ebay but RGC also sells them), and some RCA terminators, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/HTTX-Female-Term ... +terminals

In the end, I have these:

They're a little touchy since I went with a dangly, no-solder solution, but the work! Overall I'd recommend the PCB option if it's available since it's much cleaner.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Erik_Twice wrote:
The question I have is: Is it possible to use CRT Emudriver on a normal PC? As in, can I add a secondary GPU and run 15Khz games without the need for a second computer?

I have seen other people discuss doing this, but I have not. I don't see why you couldn't since this is only a custom BIOS for the GPU. You'd probably have to switch display devices in device manager but that should be the extent of the trouble you'd have to go through.

I have a 31.5Khz monitor outputting from the DVI port on my CRT_Emudriver machine, just to play games like Shantae, Monster Boy or Mega Man 11. It works great.