Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

by Nemoide Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:05 pm

I got a new CRT set today! A Toshiba CZ1484, which as best as I can tell is their top of the line model from the mid-1980s. It's beautiful:
Apparently the FST/Blackstripe TVs could rival Trinitrons in quality but I can't find much info about these CZ- models online.

One cool feature is that the front control panel pops out and works as the remote control!
The remote doesn't seem to be working, but that's still really cool!

Check out the back connections:
IT HAS RGB! It's a type of connector I'm not familiar with, I'm HOPING it might be possible to make a converter so I could use a SCART cable with it for my Sega Genesis or Saturn or something.

I've had to give this thing a SERIOUS cleaning; the front glass comes off to be washed but the screen behind it was filthy too.
I'm not wild about the reflection caused by the glass cover, but the image quality from composite video NES looks pretty great and it isn't too distracting in person. I think the glass still needs more cleaning.

It also seems that the internal speakers are totally dead. Not a huge problem since I've got an external speaker that works fine, but it's a bit of a drag.
I'm going to get in touch with the repair shop in the region that fixed my Trinitron when it stopped working to see if they can get the sound and remote functioning. But even if they can't, I'm very happy with this thing!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Really cool CRT man. I've seen that RGB connection on a Japanese computer or monitor. IIRC on a LGR video and he got it working.

Edit: Found it! Looks like same pins/connector but labeled "digital RGB" on his TV. Hope that helps.

https://youtu.be/UTscvF10JP0

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Really cool CRT man. I've seen that RGB connection on a Japanese computer or monitor. IIRC on a LGR video and he got it working.

Edit: Found it! Looks like same pins/connector but labeled "digital RGB" on his TV. Hope that helps.

Man LGR is in my area and I swear to god that guy just out thrifts me. I never find anything.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 am

Jagosaurus wrote:Really cool CRT man. I've seen that RGB connection on a Japanese computer or monitor. IIRC on a LGR video and he got it working.

Thanks for the link to the video! All information is useful. Someone on another forum says it's called a EIAJ 8-pin connector. Maybe I won't be able to get an adapter so I can hook up a Sega console via RGB, but if I ever get a PC-8801, I guess I'm in business
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Awesome CRT, Nemoide! I've never seen that model before, but it looks really nice. Also, the fact that the remote hooks up and pops out from the front of the television is an awesome feature. More TVs should've had that.

Also, thanks for the link to the LGR video. I used to watch his videos pretty frequently but fell off -- need to start checking it out again. Always good information and interesting finds on there.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:30 pm

Well, I got another CRT and am now officially in the PVM club!
I was talking with a friend about PVMs and then the next day he found a posting on Reddit where someone was looking to sell three of them. I have another friend who wanted one and I got her on board and the whole situation worked out pretty perfectly! The other twos are Sonys but I really like this Panasonic, which has a higher TVL count. It has a small scratch on the screen, but its barely noticeable while in use. I've only used it with S-video so far, but the picture is very nice and I like the well-defined scanlines more than I expected to.

And that should be my last CRT for a good long while! I'm EXTREMELY SET.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:03 pm

How is that game, btw? Never actually played it. How does it stack up against other cart racers?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 pm

It's the Japan-exclusive first game and I haven't really made up my mind but so far I'd say it's solidly alright. My last racing game was Diddy Kong Racing and that has a lot more content but also has the virtue of having came out three years later. Motor Toon GP's an odd one: not *quite* a kart racer, it feels more like an arcade racer than Mario Kart, but it's not quite NOT a kart racer in how it's cartoony and sometimes you become a giant running along the course. In some ways it's pretty bare bones, but as an inexpensive early PS1 game, it's enjoyable. It's not as good as Daytona USA but probably as good as Virtua Racing.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to racing games and am trying to branch out and play more.
JungleHeart
8-bit

by JungleHeart Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:31 pm

Here's mine. I'm not sure of the exact model but we've had this Sanyo for years. I have the very same PS2 I have back in the day. I love these two mainly because they're both first owned.

The TV's display is nothing special and it's pretty small. It does get the job done for me, though.
Attachments
sanyo.jpg
My Sanyo TV set with a PS2 plugged in. Dynasty Warriors 3 FTW!
sanyo.jpg (394.31 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."
—Suikoden I
--
Currently works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:13 pm

Hey guys, worth noting I'm offloading my 27" Samsung Dyna Flat (model TXM2790F) before an upcoming move. It has component & composite input, OEM remote, and stand. Can get to service menus with remote.

If you have anyone in greater Houston area into the hobby or looking for a nice, yet low price CRT let me know. I have 25 bucks into the stand & remote, so only asking for that 8).

I can meet, ready to load from my truck. Not really a BST/FS cross post. More-so want this TV to stay in the community & only have about a month before she has to go. I saved her from side of the road & spent a good amount of time cleaning up, finding a stand, & buying remote... so want someone to benefit who will enjoy.

Pic:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater