Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy587

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

by Ziggy587 Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:47 pm

Nice! It looks like you're splitting the video to the Wega and also an HDTV.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
R_Oldgames

by R_Oldgames Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Nice! It looks like you're splitting the video to the Wega and also an HDTV.

Yep! I am using gcompsw switcher with 2 outputs. The first one is conncted to the CRT and the other to is splitted to the frameimeister and the OSSC, which are scaling to the HDTV.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:15 pm

First... saw this on r/crtgaming last night and laughed WAYYY too hard :lol: sure some of y'all get this too...

Haha! Too funny I noticed the blurry Emerson DVD from the pic Ziggy. Mine was a solid player. I also listened to a ton of music of it. It was my main means of playing CDs in my room for a long time. Was still working great when I sold it, after I upgraded to a Sony BD player.

Okay, below is the TV stand I found at Goodwill... & "new" 27" Samsung I saved from a curb/dumpster/donation overflow pile. It's not as nice as my previous stand I gave away, but still a quality build. As I mentioned, not a huge fan of how the top piece is split. But there are a ton of bolts and nuts. I miscounted before, actually 16 nuts/bolts in just the top section. Sturdy but strange design choice lol. There's another 20 nuts/bolts elsewhere, so the total stand has 36 nuts/bolts visible :lol: CRT construct times. CNET has my model at ~94 pounds: https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-txm2790f/

I've cleaned her up quite a but since I took this pic last week. Some cosmetic damage to the outside, but it's minimal on front frame and no scratches on screen. I scrubbed this thing! Was pretty nasty. Think it was in a shop or warehouse because one side was much dirtier than the other, with grime. Maybe facing the work area. Judging from an old AV forum post... TV ran ~$600 new and was fairly sought after bc it has that 16:9 mode (same as late Sonys) where it focuses all resolution between letter box bars vs wasting pixels. Pic:

Very similar set up now to my RCA Tru Flat I got new (Christmas 2005?) and let go of in 2016. Happened by accident... but was probably subconsciously trying to get it back lol.

@Ziggy, So on the CRT movie watching... I think my son wasn't used to the interlaced video and slight scanlines at 480. He immediately noticed it looked different. We watch 480p DVDs/MKVs fairly often... but I do guess it's usually in a BD player outputting 1080p, upscaled to 4K by the TV lol. And they stream 4K UHD HDR content pretty often... spoiled.

Ordered that Samsung remote model from ebay for 8 bucks. Works great. Thanks man. 8) . I did read how to get the service menu online, but haven't yet. The geometry is actually really solid from my testing lately.

Also, PSA on the Koryuu. Apparently had some 480i issues (not 240p) fixed in recent firmware. But it's an not the most friendly firmware upgrade process. Requires a AVR programmer vs normal USB to PC or SD card methods.

I'm also looking at the SCART2COMP (to re-use my SCART cables) vs getting individual RetroVision component cables... but looks like it doesn't support sync on luma. Bummer for my nice PS1 cables that are sync on luma.

SCART2COMP
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/rgb2comp

The Shinybow has been popular for some time, but I haven't read up on the sync specs
https://www.amazon.com/Shinybow-SCART-R ... B003YTBGQG

I've also heard really good things about this guy from NZ and this device
RGB SCART to YPbPr Component - Ebay

Any1 using these?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:53 pm

I went out to get the mail today when I saw a TV sitting outside my neighbors house two doors down. Out of curiosity, I walked down I saw the 'Sony Trinitron WEGA' on the corner of the Television. So, I walked back inside, grabbed a tape measure and saw that it was 32 Inches. By then, my neighbor came out and we talked about it. She mentioned that it still works, but it doesn't have a remote. She said it was free if I wanted it.

I then thought, "Oh, Crap. What now?"

Well, I'm now the Proud owner of my 4th CRT Television.

1. Phillips Energy Star 27 Inches
2. Sony Trinitron 27 Inches
3. Sony Trinitron 32 Inches
4. Sony Trinitron WEGA 32 Inches

I think it sat for a very long time because when I hit the power button, the Stand By Timer just kept blinking. After several seconds, I hit it again and then the screen turned on and I got video. I tried it again and got the same results. I'm currently letting it run for a bit to heat up.

But, does any other CRT's do that? Do I just need to wait the timer out?? Does the power button need to be hit a second time??
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:08 pm

My wega does that, the red blinking light until it kicks on. I dont't have to push it again though. Its like it takes a few seconds to warm up or something. it takes a few seconds for the black to get black as well. I just chalk it up to wear and tear and I guess eventually the tube will go out. It's done it for years though.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 pm

Congrats on the new Wega, can never have too many IMO LOL.

I've been meaning to post this here...

1990s SONY TRINITRON Television: HOW IT WAS MADE (vintage TV CRT Tube electronics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVLVaoA-fic

They also have one on rear projection TVs. I haven't watched it yet, but I skipped through it and it looks awesome. And Bob from Retro RGB mentioned it in his weekly roundup video, so it can't be bad.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:11 am

Markies wrote:So, one of my CRT's (Philips) has vertical Red, Green and Blue lines on the top. They started small and near the very top, but now they are getting larger and slowly moving down the picture.

Does anybody know about this problem and how to fix it??

Thank You!

So, my year and half saga ended today. In late May, my 27 Inch Philips finally stopped correcting itself and I now have permanent RGB Lines along with Vertical Foldover.

My friend came over and he manhandled my 32 Inch Sony Trinitron up the stairs and replaced the Philips. It took some configuring, but now everything works perfectly.

My Philips is sitting off in the corner. My friend wants to do some research to see if he can fix it. More than likely, I think it will end up getting destroyed because I don't think the caps can be found and he's not going to recap the entire thing.

So, now, my setup is two separate Sony Trinitrons. One 27 and the other 32.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:35 pm

I am now the owner of a 27" Sanyo. It has coax, composite, and component video. Not too bad for $0.

I haven't owned a crt since 2008 or so. Pretty excited.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 am

opa wrote:I am now the owner of a 27" Sanyo. It has coax, composite, and component video. Not too bad for $0.

I haven't owned a crt since 2008 or so. Pretty excited.

That's awesome, opa! Hope you enjoy the Sanyo CRT. How did you come across it? Was it a curbside find?
opa
128-bit

by opa Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 am

Note wrote:That's awesome, opa! Hope you enjoy the Sanyo CRT. How did you come across it? Was it a curbside find?

It actually belonged to my grandparents. The cable company upgraded their boxes but the new ones are only HDMI compatible so the CRT in one of the bedrooms had to go. They were going to just sit it in the garage for the rest of eternity (or until they had a load of junk to throw out) so they were a bit surprised when I asked if I could take it. :lol:

Granted, you gotta be a tick crazy to be willing to tote one of these. But once you hook up it's all worth it.

I'm pretty psyched to try out some N64 games. I don't own any upscaling equipment so it has been a painful experience trying to play N64 on a modern tv.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater