How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by wclem »

TEKTORO wrote:I got this one.

Hey you got the same TV I got, Works great for me and PS2 in component on it looks great!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

You guys know what I hate?

Interlace flicker. Pure eye torture.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:Hey guys, check this out:
If your CRT was sold by sears at any time, you can find an exploded view on Sears Parts direct. I don't plan on ever buying any of these expensive parts from Sears, but I think it's cool to look at the exploded view diagram of electronics.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-p ... 00001.html

That is neat, appears to be captured from the Sony Service manual.

You can also google the "<Model Number> Service Manual PDF" for more detailed views showing all the parts.

:D Found it, the KV-27FS120 Service Manual Service Manual:
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2009_06/09062016054705.pdf

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Awesome! Thanks, CRT.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Well everyone can start throwing rocks at me! I passed up on a Sony PVM for $30 at an Electronics Refurbish Center. Though a beautiful picture, it is only 14" (many PVMs are usually smaller 8" tubes) and of course has a curved CRT vs the better WEGA Flat Tube. Now if was the uncommon 20" PVM, I would jump on it even with the curved glass tube.

I tested with a Pacman PlugNPlay (Video Composite touching BNC connector pin) and informing the employees the importance of this monitor. I already own both Commodore 1701 and Commodore 1902A monitors that handle Composite and SVideo beautifully, so have no need for another 14" monitor. Oh crap, maybe I really should have bought it though! :?

This is the same store that saved a rare In-N-Out Burger Employee Training Laser Disc for me. (Side Note: East Coasters have White Castle, California has In-N-Out) The Recycler Center normally do not resell recycled CRTs, but will now save a few Flat Screen CRTs as well as any PVMs that come their way. The store also has high end Medical CRTs, but those 10" tubes are too small. :!:

The good news is the Electronics Recycle Center knows I am on the lookout for a 20" Sony WEGA Flat Screen CRT and will call me when the next one arrives! :mrgreen:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

TSTR wrote:You guys know what I hate?

Interlace flicker. Pure eye torture.

I know what you mean. I don't normally notice it unless someone points a camera at a CRT, then it's clear as day.

By the way, is your avatar the Ruum by Arthur Porges?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The title of this thread made me laugh. Isn't that like asking "How many of you are actually still playing NES?" This is a retro gaming forum by golly!

I have a nice 2005 WEGA from Goodwill. I keep six consoles hooked up to it including my Wii.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I bought an RCA Truflat CRT brand new in 2008. I think that was the very last time I ever saw a CRT television new in a retail store. I felt like I bought the very last Tasmanian tiger.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:I bought an RCA Truflat CRT brand new in 2008. I think that was the very last time I ever saw a CRT television new in a retail store. I felt like I bought the very last Tasmanian tiger.

That is a great analogy and so true. Its the way I feel too about the CRTs!

A wall of text after the "Station Break" quote, go get another cup of joe.

Thierry Henry wrote:Just a small CRT. This is now my second Wharfedale model TV. Tested it out. Works great.

My particular LG model doesn't have component out and the screen size is only 17", but the S-Video quality on it is top-notch.

Quote pulled from the Nice Things Thread, very clean CRT TVs Thierry!

Samsung TX-P2034

I found a 20" Samsung CRT on Craigslist for only $20.00 last Saturday. I'm on a roll, purchased the 27" JVC HD CRT just over a week ago, a 27" SD Sony with 1080i tube a few months ago and now yet another beautiful flat screen tube. I still have a Sony 20" flat tube WEGA requested at the Recycle Center, but happy with the quality of the Samsung. This is replacing a 14" curved tube Apex on the kitchen counter. As a kitchen/dining room TV the bright CRT can clearly be seen at steep angles; unlike a newer flat screen no image darkening even when viewed from the sides.

-----------------------------------------------

"While testing this TV out in the seller's garage I was thinking about the PVM (posted above) I passed up on the day before." :|

The Samsung tube is really flat, appeared to be an older LCD pictured on Craigslist. See the picture at the very bottom, the design alludes to earlier LCD TVs. This is an SD Tube so all the standard definition signals come out crisp with no upscale issues. Both the Cox Cable and Broadcast Antennae with digital channels come in clean.

"Gaah I should have also bought that PVM last Friday. By the time I decided on Saturday, too late in the day and Sunday the Recycle Center is closed!"

After getting the TV home, popped the back cover off for a good dustout. Lots of hair bunnys inside and a layer of dirt film on the face of the CRT. Oh and another nice thing about tube TVs, the glass is very durable for the intense scrub down with LiftOff. That chemical might have fogged the plastic of an LCD/LED TV. :idea:

There are Composite, SVideo and Component (480i only) in the back. The side video inputs share the audio input with the Component input and override its audio whenever hooked up. The side inputs are only for temporary hookup such as a PlugNPlay game unit. Not an issue there is a separate Composite and SVideo input in the back. The TV has a lot of bass thump thanks to the speakers enclosed in the cavernous CRT housing.

Something unique about the inputs. Not only is there the uncommon by today's standards SVideo, but that 4 pin jack is individually selectable with the TV remote. :)

"After setting up the Samsung CRT TV I anticipated if that PVM would still be there. Was it already dumped for scrap or even worse someone else already bought it? I went back on Monday and happy it was still on the shelf! There was also a Toshiba 30" widescreen CRT with HDMI input and the cord was already cut! Turns out the Recycle Center makes no effort to resell CRT TV and CRT VGA Monitors even if they are working!" :cry:

"However that PVM was saved and the price raised from $30 to $50. I asked for a discount as a regular customer and as the guy who initially tested it the other day with my offer of $30. The employee dropped the price to $40, I now have the beautiful PVM!"
:mrgreen:

While retesting the PVM, another customer donated a Samsung 16" CRT TV. Holy crap, this was almost identical to my 20" and it also has a component input! I immediately tested it and confirmed to the employee it was perfect, but had no need for it since I just bought the 14" PVM. The supervisor came in, I relayed the flat tube as being uncommon and that maybe he could put it on their sale site for a couple of weeks. No chance, if I did not buy it the power cord would be cut and the TV scrapped! :roll:

The employee whispered to me (so the supervisor would not hear) that I could buy the 16" flat tube TV for only ten bucks. I really did not need it since I now have THREE 14" monitors; I at least salvaged the remote from it for my 20" Samsung CRT. A shame the Recycle Center destroys so many beautiful CRTs, at least that smaller Samsung will live on thru the Remote for the bigger brother. :?

Nice features on this 20" Flat CRT TV!
Samsung 20" DynaFlat TV, Model TXP2034
http://www.abt.com/product/15578/Maytag-TXP2034.html

The deluxe-featured TX-P2034 blends simplicity of design with the latest technology to achieve a high quality picture. The neutral silver color fits with any decor. Side A/V inputs offer quick connections for video components like video game consoles or a camcorder while keeping the front clean and attractive. An S-Video jack, 2 rear A/V inputs and a DVD component video input allow for connecton of your favorite A/V gear.

TV/Video
DynaFlat TV Anti-Distortion, Anti-Glare Flat Picture Tube
Full Sounding Side Speaker Design in Silver Cabinet
Convenient Front Panel Control Key Buttons for Accessing Menu Settings without remote
Velocity Scan Modulation Improves Edge Detail
Digital Comb Filter
Color Temperature Adjustments
INVAR Shadow Mask
Full Function Remote Control & On Screen Display
Normal & Zoom Screen Filling Modes

Audio
Stereo Broadcast Reception
5-Watt Side Speaker Audio System
Sound Enhancement Modes Including Std, Movie, Music, Speech, & Custom
New Improved Turbo Sound Loudness Control

Specifications
Audio: Stereo Broadcast Reception MTS & SAP
Picture Tube: 20" CRT measured diagonally
TV System: American NTSC Standard Color
Antenna: CATV/VHF/UHF 75-ohm, F-Type
Channel Coverage: VHF 2-13 / UHF 14-69 / CATV 1-125 (up to 181 pre-selected channels)
Audio Power: 2.5W x 2
Power Requirements: 120W AC, 60Hz
Power Consumption: 90W (2.6W Standby)
Order Code: TXP2034X/XAA
UPC Code: 036725216969
Net Dimensions: 22.9"(W) x 18"(H) x 18.9"(D)
Approximate Weight: 55.1 Lbs.
Approximate Shipping Weight: 63.9 Lbs.

From the front, the Samsung design looks like an older LCD, but the components on top give this flat CRT away. All bought off Craigslist on the cheap and all hooked up; Sony Media player, Sony DVD Player (Precision Drive 3), LG Bluray Player, Cox Mini Box and Digital Channel Box for broadcast "Mudflap" antennae hooked up.

The overscan (a common problem on CRTs with today's digital signals) will need tweaked. Flat Tube TVs do not use potentiometers, but digital controlled thru the TV Remote and hidden Service Menu.

Samsung TX-P2034 with various players on top.JPG
Samsung TX-P2034 with various players on top.JPG (106.31 KiB) Viewed 5151 times

=======================================================

Sony PVM-14L1
I am happy I picked up the Samsung; nuts crazy laughter I snagged that very rare and super clean new condition PVM! The unit is robust designed to run ALL day and night in a TV Studio. Popped the metal cover off (built like a PC); it still has the factory lock buttons holding the cover in the back! This TV had never been taken apart, both the outside and inside are spotless new! :shock:

GUIDE FORTHCOMING
I'll put together a comparison of the Sony PVM, the Commodore 1701, and the WEGA HD CRT. I have soo many extra screens now, looking at an alternative layout for my annual Halloween House Of The Dead gaming setup outside. Hmm, TWO CRTs with the Dreamcast y-cabled to each tube; each Lightgunner having their own screen. Oh wait, maybe the two monitors and TWO PS1 grey consoles; the two attached with a link cable with a certain Arcade Twin Stick for the game Assault Rigs! Maybe even break out a couple vintage matched PS1 Flightsticks for linked Descent Maximum! Hoo yeah, look for the Guide for this lost form of gameplay. :idea:

Man the inside shows how solid PVMs are! Yes, the Cathode "gun" is that long! :D

Sony PVM-14L1 Inside 2.JPG
Sony PVM-14L1 Inside 2.JPG (90.94 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri May 06, 2016 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I picked up a new CRT the other day. The catch is that I don't yet know if it works. It was on the side of the road, and it was raining out. It wasn't raining hard, or for very long, and the TV didn't look too wet. I'm thinking there's a good chance that it's fine, but I'm giving it at least a week before I plug it in.

It's not a Wega, but it's a Sony Trinitron 32" bubble screen. It has composite and S-Video input as well as audio out. No component input, but I'm not gonna miss that for retro games.

I posted earlier in this thread that I currently have a 27" Wega as my primary CRT for retro gaming. While something bigger would be nicer, I don't really wanna mess around with anything much bigger than a 27". I actually passed on a free 36" Wega recently. The 32" is a little bigger than my 27" while still not being ridiculously big and heavy.

So I don't know if it works or what I plan to do with it, but it was free. I would have had to pass if I was by myself, but I was with my brother in his pickup truck so it was kinda perfect. Some years back, after I already had my 27" Wega, I found a 36" Wega in a thrift store but I had no way of getting it. CRTs that large, you really need two people and some sort of truck or SUV. I don't even think it would fit in the trunk of a sedan.