Sega Genesis Custom arcade stick

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
fredthezombie
24-bit

Sega Genesis Custom arcade stick

Post by fredthezombie »

Hi! I want to build a quality arcade stick using the pcb of a 6 button controller. Has anyone done this? How much collectively would a project like this cost? Where do I start? Could I use it for multiple systems? SNES mostly
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Genesis Custom arcade stick

Post by samsonlonghair »

Go here:
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
Choose "controls" from the menu.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

It should be easy enough. The solder pads on the six button are nice and easy to get to, and I believe it has a common ground. But it will not work on the SNES like you hoped.

I would highly recommend getting a PS1/2 stick, or modding up a controller, and getting tototek adapters to whatever console you want to play it on. They have PS2 to SNES and PS2 to Genesis adapters (as far as I can remember the MC Cthulhu board does not do Genesis).
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Thanks guys! I definitely have a lot of reading to do.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:I would highly recommend getting a PS1/2 stick, or modding up a controller, and getting tototek adapters to whatever console you want to play it on. They have PS2 to SNES and PS2 to Genesis adapters (as far as I can remember the MC Cthulhu board does not do Genesis).

THIS. Most game consoles have an option of a PS1/2 controller aftermarket adapter, the most of any system. Only makes sense to get the PS1/2 Arcade stick or modding a custom Arcade Stick with a Playstation gamepad to maximize use on other consoles and PCs.

Look in the Guides section, I posted a few there on modding various Arcade Stcks and Gamepads.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Or just buy one of those controllers that work on multiple systems.
Put that in your fave stick.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

d123456 wrote:Or just buy one of those controllers that work on multiple systems.
Put that in your fave stick.

Do you mean X arcade? They only work with 6th gen systems and on, nothing before. :(
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

fastbilly1 wrote:I would highly recommend getting a PS1/2 stick, or modding up a controller, and getting tototek adapters to whatever console you want to play it on. They have PS2 to SNES and PS2 to Genesis adapters (as far as I can remember the MC Cthulhu board does not do Genesis).

If you use a RJ45 to PS1/PS2 cord with a MC Cthulhu board, you can get Genesis/Master system support with a Tototek adapter.

And for the original question of cost...if you plan to go completely custom with Sanwa/Seimitsu caliber parts, you are probably looking at $200-300. I built an arcade stick about this time last year and it ran me just over $200 but I had access to some free materials and tools. Here are some more details on that if you are interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Should not cost anywhere near $300... That's what a custom made one costs with labor included isn't it?
That's if you can source the materials for the enclosure cheap; The Sanwa or Seimutsu joystick and buttons should not cost more than $70, even with an octogate thrown in... Metal from a scrap refrigerator if you use any metal, wood from scrap (it's rather small after all). I used a pre-made from a pawn shop for $25 (PS2 Hori RAP), but I have built bigger projects from cutoffs and scrap yards before. Anything that small should be less than $20 even buying the best materials from scrap resellers.
For refinishing, I used a $4 black spackle gravel-guard finish that will last forever. If it can handle gravel being shot at it, it'll outlast the controller.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Benj Edwards makes excellent custom arcade sticks for NES, SNES, Genesis. https://twitter.com/benjedwards/status/ ... 0385545217