Spoony's game room! U:10/17/16

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Spoony's game room! Dreamcast library complete! (U:Jan/9

Post by Blu »

Simply Amazing Spoony. Congratulations Brother, the first leg of the journey has ended, and now you have yet another adventure unfolding! Some of those games look familiar too!;)

Did you try out the Sega Samba maracas yet?
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

CD AGES wrote:I just don't want that filler simply to have a complete catalog. Trust me, I keep thinking about it but I just don't want to even tho it does look nice lol!

I have a soft spot for the SAS DC library. I just love their look. Most of it easily attainable, tho PS, MvC, Hydro and Blitz are a bit scarce these days.

The imports on DC I guess have gone up a tad, but there are still some great titles for cheap.

Really!? Interesting, because I see it quite the opposite with most of its fighting library aging very well. MvC2 is still the tournament standars after all these years, MvC1 with its exclusive 4 player mode, Soul Calibur with all of its content intact, Jojo's is still the superior version compared to its recent digital release which isn't even available anymore. Power Stone 1 and 2 best ports out there, PJ, TR, Spawn ITDH, HM Geomatrix, Plasma Sword, New Gen and 2I all exclusive releases after all these years. And that's only taking into account just US titles.

I had never seen some of those SAS covers until I saw your thread. Granted, I was specifically not looking for SAS before, but still. You don't really see MVC or Power Stone SAS come up that often. People think they're common because the game sold a lot - but those are the copies they made after the game already sold a lot.

I didn't want to get them because I thought they would ruin the uniformity of the collection (as if the black and white spines didn't do that already), but the more I look at them, the more I really appreciate the style.

You can certainly get some DC imports for cheap. Just not the majority of the ones i'd want to get.

As for the fighting library, I forget a lot of it exists, haha. I guess out of the fighting games i'm most familiar with and play the most (Garou, 3rd Strike, MVC2 and a couple others) there are more recent, improved and more accessible versions out there.

I still play them on the DC. But, there are technically "better" versions out there.

Blu wrote:Simply Amazing Spoony. Congratulations Brother, the first leg of the journey has ended, and now you have yet another adventure unfolding! Some of those games look familiar too!;)

Did you try out the Sega Samba maracas yet?

I haven't had much time to mess around with Samba since I got the new Maracas set. When I did play, I was stuck on the Cup Of Life challenge where you have to get a perfect. There are two poses at the end and i've just barely missed them twice now.

Of course, after ~250 perfect sequential actions, missing one of the last two is a little frustrating and certainly doesn't help to improve your next run. So I gave up on that for the now.

I was excited to break 2,000,000 points on original/normal mode a few days ago. I would've thought that to be impossible when I started playing. Now I just want to score more points, beat more challenges and samba all day. This is some of the most fun i've had with a game in awhile.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

SpoonyBard wrote:People think they're common because the game sold a lot - but those are the copies they made after the game already sold a lot.

I didn't want to get them because I thought they would ruin the uniformity of the collection (as if the black and white spines did...)

As for the fighting library, I forget a lot of it exists, haha. I guess out of the fighting games i'm most familiar with and play the most (Garou, 3rd Strike, MVC2 and a couple others) there are more recent, improved and more accessible versions out there.

I still play them on the DC. But, there are technically "better" versions out there.

Quite right!

True :lol:

I def agree with Garou. Not quite for the other 2 IMO.

Anywho, congrats on your DC collection. Its so cool to see others collection for such a fun and wonderful system.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Do you have a picture of all the Dreamcast games stacked next to each other?

Do you know how much its worth?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

You spoony bard!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Wheres the media shelving from?
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

RCBH928 wrote:Do you have a picture of all the Dreamcast games stacked next to each other?

Do you know how much its worth?

I don't have the games all stacked next to each other, but in the "natural habitat" picture on the first page it shows them all on the shelf. The shelf is probably around 4' tall and is entirely full.

I've been meaning to update this as i've acquired more stuff since posting. I'm currently missing 17 variants (SAS/LE/NFR/Misprints), 3 Magazine Demo Discs, 11 Magazines, The Agetec racing wheel, and the Madcatz light gun. After that i'll have everything official.

I know what I paid for everything to date~ But not necessarily what its worth. I did get a lot of these games before the more recent spikes in value and some of the more expensive pieces I did get pretty stellar deals on. If I had to replace it all today, i'd probably expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,500.

Hazerd wrote:Wheres the media shelving from?

Wal*Mart, haha.

In the older pictures it shows some larger shelving from the same set. It bows with a pretty light load on it and just generally feels like junk. The more narrow shelves that the Dreamcast stuff is on seem to hold up a lot better and the shelving is a lot more modular. I think they're only $15 a piece and its been serving me quite well.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

I have a shelf that looks exactly like those from Target which was like $15 or $20, and i wanted to get more, but they discontinued them.

Will need to check out Walmart it seems.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

$3500 is not bad at all

If I was after a full collection I would easily pay that amount if I had the money. Its better than going on for 2 years hunting for bargains and wasting hours of my lifetime. Then again, I hear others collect solely for this reason. Its the ride they say, but I never understood that...
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

With a complete collection you'll definitely have some bad games mixed in. Owning the whole thing is mostly just a novelty and the process of purchasing those games is certainly a big part of that novelty.

Its no fun if you just go on Amazon and buy a game. In that case you better have fun with the game. But if you're running around at flea markets, rummage sales, game stores and pawn shops and you finally find that one game that has been eluding you - It's fun. Sometimes much more fun than you'll ever have with that lousy game.

Not for everyone, i'm sure. I just happen to like it a lot. Every console and every box for them (with exception of the Dreamcast box) came from sellers within 30 minutes of my home. Even though I don't play them all that often, I like my some of my more "rare" systems quite a bit. Mainly for the fact that I found them in my little town of 8,000 people - Where they were probably never sold in the first place. I like them much more than I ever would if I just snagged them in whatever BIN was on ebay the day I decided to buy one.