Spoony's game room! U:10/17/16

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Re: Spoony's game room! Dreamcast library complete! (U:Jan/9

Post by SpoonyBard »

samsonlonghair wrote:Most Impressive Spoony. Congrats on completing your Dreamcast collection.

What's the story with the shelf shaped like a jukebox?

Thanks!

The jukebox shelf was given to me by a local game store that went out of business. From what I was told, it was an old Wal*Mart CD display that was converted to hold NES carts. All of the lights still work and it holds ~280 cartridges.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Thats awesome dude, what were the hardest games to track down?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Very cool that you managed to track them all down.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

SpoonyBard wrote:
It's great! Small, inexpensive and a ton of great games in there!

But there are a lot of duds, and it's getting more expensive every day. A lot of the accessories are pretty expensive (maracas/twin sticks/arcade sticks) but really make the games they were designed for. It really makes a high barrier for entry on a few games. Definitely not for everyone.

Not too many duds IMO. I think I'm at 180-190 with just US and I have fun with most of those titles. There isn't left for me that I want for US games at this point. Focusing more on imports.
Yes, true. I feel pretty fortunate to have most of the DC accessories for real good prices back in the day.
Check out my collection on the respective thread here. Tho I haven't updated that thread in a while -_-
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

ninjainspandex wrote:Thats awesome dude, what were the hardest games to track down?

With ebay and amazon, none of them are particularly hard to find. And that definitely made it a fun thing to collect for. It never seemed unattainable.

That said, it can be difficult to find some of the games for a "fair" price. I did pretty well on Amazon, but ebay was pretty much worthless. Almost everything there was considerably marked up.

The used shops around the state were really good to me, but after I hit ~150 games I just couldn't find anything in them. I'd take a day on the weekend and drive to 5 or 6 stores, dig through a couple hundred DC games and leave with nothing.

Power Stone 2 and Giga Wing 2 are probably the games I spent the longest actively trying to find, and ultimately I paid more for them than I would've liked. That said, neither were hard to find. I don't think there has been a time where I looked and I couldn't find a copy for sale.

CD AGES wrote:Not too many duds IMO. I think I'm at 180-190 with just US and I have fun with most of those titles. There isn't left for me that I want for US games at this point. Focusing more on imports.
Yes, true. I feel pretty fortunate to have most of the DC accessories for real good prices back in the day.
Check out my collection on the respective thread here. Tho I haven't updated that thread in a while -_-

You're so close! How could you not! You seem to have all the expensive games (and accessories!) too!

I like that you've got all the SAS variants too. I keep going back and forth on buying those.

The import library has a lot of great games, but most of what interests me in it is priced much higher than my desire to have it.

As for duds! Maybe there aren't a lot of genuine duds. But there are certainly a lot of games that haven't aged well. And in a lot of cases the DC versions are now considered inferior to more modern releases (most of the fighting game library, unfortunately). It certainly makes owning most of it a novelty (a novelty that I happen to love).
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

DC game stronk! Nice work dood.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

very impressive, Spoony! Are any of them sealed or otherwise a special variant/version of the game?

What percentage have you played (beyond just testing)? What percentage have you beat?

Do you have the DC magazines and/or demo discs?
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Saw this dreamcast collection and...

SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

dsheinem wrote:very impressive, Spoony! Are any of them sealed or otherwise a special variant/version of the game?

What percentage have you played (beyond just testing)? What percentage have you beat?

Do you have the DC magazines and/or demo discs?

No special variants really. Luckily with the US stuff, there aren't a whole lot of variants. Two limited editions (one of which is on the way), 17 Sega All Star (Greatest Hits) releases and a few re-releases by publisher (Mostly a few Midway games).

I don't have any of these, haha.

I don't have the DC magazines, but I do have a few loose ODM demo discs (not pictured).

Floigan Brothers, MagForce Racing and Shadowman are all factory sealed (I don't intend to keep them that way though).

The Ring: Terror's Realm was purchased as "new - sealed" on ebay but showed up with saran wrap for the seal, haha. It was priced less than I was expecting to pay for a loose copy though, and aside from being opened it was in great shape, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I play every game for at least a brief stint when I get it. There are about 10-15 DC games that I consistently play. And i'd say i've spent a fair amount of time with about 20% of the library so far.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

SpoonyBard wrote:You're so close! How could you not! You seem to have all the expensive games (and accessories!) too!

I like that you've got all the SAS variants too. I keep going back and forth on buying those.

The import library has a lot of great games, but most of what interests me in it is priced much higher than my desire to have it.

As for duds! Maybe there aren't a lot of genuine duds. But there are certainly a lot of games that haven't aged well. And in a lot of cases the DC versions are now considered inferior to more modern releases (most of the fighting game library, unfortunately). It certainly makes owning most of it a novelty (a novelty that I happen to love).

I just don't want that filler simply to have a complete catalog. Trust me, I keep thinking about it but I just don't want to even tho it does look nice lol!

I have a soft spot for the SAS DC library. I just love their look. Most of it easily attainable, tho PS, MvC, Hydro and Blitz are a bit scarce these days.

The imports on DC I guess have gone up a tad, but there are still some great titles for cheap.

Really!? Interesting, because I see it quite the opposite with most of its fighting library aging very well. MvC2 is still the tournament standars after all these years, MvC1 with its exclusive 4 player mode, Soul Calibur with all of its content intact, Jojo's is still the superior version compared to its recent digital release which isn't even available anymore. Power Stone 1 and 2 best ports out there, PJ, TR, Spawn ITDH, HM Geomatrix, Plasma Sword, New Gen and 2I all exclusive releases after all these years. And that's only taking into account just US titles.