Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: RGB SCART vs YPbPr Component

by stickem Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:54 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:What do you guys recommend for Dreamcast? What's better between SCART and VGA? And how does compatibility differ between the two? I know not every game works with VGA, and not every game works with SCART. Does SCART support 480p on Dreamcast?

I use this and I'm happy with it. has a switch for interlaced and progressive. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... -480P-MODE

Did have a vga box and all that, this was just cleaner to me, going into a scart switcher to ossc.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 pm

I noticed that the switch says 576i and 480p; does it just assume PAL since it's SCART and will work with 480i on an NTSC console?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:29 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I noticed that the switch says 576i and 480p; does it just assume PAL since it's SCART and will work with 480i on an NTSC console?

I've wondered the same thing, if it's because they're UK based. So if you use that cable on an NTSC-U console, would it be 480i instead? That's what I'm assuming.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 am

Same, but I'm hesitant to order until I know. They're not exactly cheap cables lol

Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:10 pm

If you can solder, it's not hard to make that came yourself. You'd save a few bucks. It's a beginner friendly solder job, since you just have to solder stripped wires to lugs. The hardest part would be making sure your wire lengths are just the right size (so that they can fit inside the plugs).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
drewsquire

by drewsquire Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:31 am

I personally believe that for 240p consoles, RGB scart is the way to go, but I have no scientific data to confirm other than some memory of 444 color space on RGB vs. 442 in component. These of course are indistinguishable to the human eye. Quality scart cables are becoming more accessible and affordable, like the Insurrection brand. Good scart switchers are rare and expensive, but usually a one-time purchase. HD Retrovision cables are superb and expensive, but component switchers are cheaper. So, cost wise, it depends on how many of each type of cable you need. The Retrotink 5X is awesome for all of its features and ease of use, but sometimes I think the 240p signal from the OSSC is a tiny bit sharper. In the spirit of simplifying my setup, I packed up my OSSC. The funny thing with all of this is, that every now and then you'll revisit this topic and make additional changes/purchases. Good luck.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:19 pm

I'm resurrecting this as I have a SCART question:

I've decided that I need a good SCART cable for my Dreamcast, but the PackAPunch cable is out of stock. Anyone have recommendations for good Dreamcast SCART cables?

bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:09 am

nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:59 pm

I just wanted to chime in for a second. I've been using YPbPr and Scart for years now and here is what I've come to realize. They are more or less the same? I know that if you get real close and pixel peep you might see some differences, but they are so small when you are playing it won't make a difference. I'm still using both. Here is what I'm doing-

I'm still using Scart and YPbPr, but for two different things. If I was going to rebuild a gameroom from scratch, I don't think I'd mess with scart. I'm still using it because it is very easy to use with a PVM. This is literally the only thing I think scart should be used for. It connects easily. Everything is built for it, and you'll get the best picture out of any system putting out 480i or lower. However, you are going to pay to play. This is the Scart money pit. Look.... the pvm is expensive. The scart cables are expensive. The switcher is expensive. The mods to get the consoles scartted up if they can't put out that signal is expensive. Its tough to justifiy if you don't already have a few pieces of it. Plus if you have a regular consumer CRT- scart is difficult to plug into it. A lot more hoops, and you might be better off just using s-video for the CRT, as the jump in quality won't be huge between s-video and scart. **ALL THAT SAID** the pvm/scart build is very nice and kinda the high end of retro gaming- so I guess it depends what you want to buy into. One last thing: quality control on scart cables can be hit and miss. I've seen a few people online with junked cables that are only putting out red or something like that.

The alternative is just the hdretrovision cables, which all work right out the box. You never find a dud or a broken one. Component switchers are cheap. Even the high end ones are cheaper than their scart brothers. They look just as good. If you are putting them into a scaler, you won't notice a difference between scart and component. If you are building something with a lot of consoles into a scaler, you are going to want to stick to one type of input for simplicity's sake. And, you are going to kind of be locked into component if you are also running consoles like the ps3, original xbox, wii, gamecube etc. What I'm saying is, those consoles are going to be component anyway. Might as well build around what you already need for those. Not only that- but if you don't have a scaler yet like an ossc or retrotink.... the retrovision cables still look good! You can get a pretty good picture just plugging the ypbpr cable right into your set. No need to mess with anything else.

I'm picking up a PVM this weekend. I basically have to. I got into scart without really realizing what it was for, and the PVM is the last piece. It took me a solid 2 years to find a large PVM in my area for a decent price. I dont' trust shipping a large 20 inch pvm, and thats what I was looking for.... so it took time. Idk. I'd be interested to hear what other people think, but if I was to do it all over again..... I'd just go s-video crt. and YPbPr.

*TLDR edit* this is all an extremely longwinded thing to be like "Scart is great when it works with the tech in the time it was popular, otherwise use ypbpr"
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater