Emu Talk Goes Here
Vetus
8-bit

Recommended portable console(s) for emulators?

by Vetus Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:23 pm

There are so many portable console(s) for emulators with newer models get released all the time that it's chaotic. It also doesn't helps the fact that YouTubers who review that kind of consoles are divided when it comes to reviewing of certain consoles. I was thinking buying Retroid Pocket 2+ but unfortunately you can only buy it from their official site and it takes months to get delivered (it's even worse with Greek delivery services being garbage). So my question is: which portable console(s) for emulators would you recommend and they're already available in the market? If possible, consoles that are available at Banggood.

Here are some of my basic requiredments:
- Being able to be connected with HDMI cable at TV
- Being able to connect extra wireless controllers on tv
- Playing perfectly emulators for these consoles: GBA, SNES, Playstation 1
- Having the best performance possible for these consoles: Nintendo 64, Saturn, Dreamcast, arcades (including 3D arcade games from late '90s - early 2000s)
- Having easy-friendly interface and preinstalled emulators
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Re: Recommended portable console(s) for emulators?

by SpikeSlania Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Currently the best preforming handheld emulator system going by what I have been seeing lately, not by my own personal experience has been the Ayn Odin. Especially if you get the dock for it which also has N64 controller ports built into it. Just doesn't look like it has hdmi output unless you also get a dock. Though if you want something more on the cheap side I did hear good things about Retroid Pocket 2 Plus. My own personal experience with handheld emulation consoles has been one of the older GPD Win systems. Though I did recently pick up a steam deck and came here to see if there's been any posts for Retro Arch on Steam since I got all confused by the core names when I looked at it when it first launched on steam. I do think the Ayn Odin fits what you asked for the best, but you could also look on Etsy and other sites for user made handheld emulators.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 pm

To add to the confusion, several of the systems benefit from community driven custom firmware (CFW).

The Anbernic systems with CFW seem to get favorable reviews up to simple PS1 Games.

The d-pad looks to be in a decent spot as well. Many of the systems look like the d-pad is crammed in an awkward spot.

While N64 has gotten much better, you're going to be pushing it with Saturn & DC. Your best bet may actually be repurposing a phone or using a tablet. Check out the YT Channel ETA Prime. He covers a lot of what you're hunting.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:43 pm

For years, I've been a big fan of the GPD family of handhelds. They can be a little on the pricey side, but they've got good horsepower, and emulation on them has steadily improved. Their latest handheld series, the GPD WIN consoles, are basically micro PCs, but they're excellent. They can run pretty much any emulator a PC can, plus PC games too. I've got a GPD WIN MAX, and I absolutely adore it.
marurun

by marurun Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:05 am

The latest Anbernic unit is supposed to be pretty beefy and good for up through most Dreamcast titles. Saturn is always another story.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Emulation