PSA: PC's suck the life out of Dualshocks while they sleep.

Emu Talk Goes Here
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

PSA: PC's suck the life out of Dualshocks while they sleep.

Post by fuctfuct »

Recently started using my Dualshock 4 wired instead of wireless. Thought my battery was finally toast. Every time woke my PC up PS4windows would say the battery was at 0%. Turns out the PC is actually draining it while it's in sleep mode. Pretty bad for your battery to get fully drained and then fully charged constantly. So I took the battery out of it. :)
Ziggy

Re: PSA: PC's suck the life out of Dualshocks while they sle

Post by Ziggy »

Go into the BIOS and see if there's any settings for USB ports when the computer is in sleep or whatever. Like a wake on USB might be "sensing" the USB port when the computer is sleeping, so it's drawing power and not charging. Just a guess.

Or just unplug it when not in use?
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Yea, I tried mucking around with BIOS settings. Windows settings too. Nothing changed. Still a huge chunk of battery missing after a few hours of sleep. The only options left were unplug it, power off PC or remove the battery. Don't want to unplug and replug 2-3 times a day. Prefer to wake from sleep than a full boot. I'm not even sure it wouldn't still drain with the power off. Might, I just didn't test it. I choose to take the battery out of the controller :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, if you're only using it wired then you might as well take the battery out. It's still a strange problem though.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Maybe a cheap externally powered USB hub inline is the solution. One that comes with a wall-plug.

At least it's a DS4. I had to buy two Sony 98049 chargers to keep my sixaxis controllers from going foul.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

A good idea. However, I built this miniITX PC to be kind of like a console. I really like the idea of only using the front USB ports for controllers, like a console. LOL.

Man, I always hated that DS3s can only charge VIA something "smart." Like a PC or console. I've never had many problems with them though. But I've also only ever used them on PS3s. :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

fuctfuct wrote:A good idea. However, I built this miniITX PC to be kind of like a console. I really like the idea of only using the front USB ports for controllers, like a console. LOL.

Well, you could mod the case so that the front ports are actually extensions to the powered hub. Of course, test the theory out first before doing that.

But since you're only ever gonna use it wired and you've already pulled the battery, I can understand if you wouldn't even wanna bother.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Yea, that wouldn't be that hard actually. Hmm.

I REALLY wish the SN30 Pro+ wasn't so (comparatively) laggy. I've wanted to buy one as an "all in one" controller for a while.