What are your thoughts on Retro Achievements?

Emu Talk Goes Here
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

What are your thoughts on Retro Achievements?

Post by fuctfuct »

I very much enjoy them. Most retro gamers i have talked to do not.

At least Solid Snake likes them! https://youtu.be/SS4yV7BxvrY :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What are your thoughts on Retro Achievements?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Never thought I'd discover something less interesting than "speedrunning" but this may be it.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Never thought I'd discover something less interesting than "speedrunning" but this may be it.

What about speedrunning achievements? :D

How did you feel about points back in the day? In the arcades my 3 letter name was UZI. Used to love seeing it on a machine (As rare as it was for me to stay in the top, lol)

I've been enjoying Crusader of Centy for the last couple gaming sessions. I don't think I would have given this game a fair chance without achievements. Cool game :D

Every time i talk to anyone involved in MiSTer I mention it. Hopefully it will get added soon :D
sevengraff

Post by sevengraff »

I like them. I don't seek out the achievements, but when one shows up it makes me smile. It's also kinda cool to go to the achievements site and use it as a tracker of the games I've been playing and bouncing between. Overall I enjoy it and hope people continue to put achievements into the system.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

To me, if it ain't Xbox achievements or Playstation trophies than it's pretty much irrelevant. Those are the only ones that count, so I'll never use this.

Plus, one of the things I actually enjoy about playing older games is not having to worry about trophies/achievements, as sometimes the types of challenges they come up with in modern games for trophy/achievement hunters are especially annoying.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:To me, if it ain't Xbox achievements or Playstation trophies than it's pretty much irrelevant. Those are the only ones that count, so I'll never use this.

What about Steam achievements? They were the second mainstream implementation and came before Playstation Trophies.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:To me, if it ain't Xbox achievements or Playstation trophies than it's pretty much irrelevant. Those are the only ones that count, so I'll never use this.

What about Steam achievements? They were the second mainstream implementation and came before Playstation Trophies.

Well, I'm not much of a PC gamer, so I've never cared about pretty much anything Steam related. Plus, I have heard people say that achievements on Steam games are handled in a much sloppier, less organized way, than how Xbox and Playstation consoles do them. It's just a real mess from what I have heard, with things not being as standardized and uniform as they are on console. Personally, I feel that while Sony didn't do achievements first, they did it the best with their trophy system. However, it annoys me that they allow so many games to release without Platinum trophies, but that's just a personal pet peeve
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

We've had this discussion before, but I can't remember the exact thread (or if it was even in its own thread or not). Regardless, I don't like them, unless they're instrumental to the gameplay. For retro games, that's a hard pass for me.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I had a chain on this awhile back and was surprised to find it so polarizing considering most of RB is in favor of emulation.

I'd use it more but haven't set up a solid emulation rig since I moved ~7 months ago.

This adds some replay value to older titles for me. I also just like how passionate the retro community it.

... but it does really make me wish Xbox had put at least simple achievements into the OGX backwards compatibility on XBS-S/X.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

This chain got me to finally get my emulation set up at new place updated... sort of lol. Have a simple but effective Chromebook set up going as a hold over.

Along with motivation to finish the English translation of Policenauts 8) . Amazing several games with translation patches are supported on Retro Achievements.

Here's my retro achievements page:
https://retroachievements.org/user/Jagosaurus

Could be fun to share that between RB members here.

Slowing working through NES Super Mario Bro 3 achievements & started Policenauts again ... which has me now wanting to replay Snatcher with achievements too!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5