Rom hacks worth playing?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

Post by Nyukki »

noiseredux wrote:
Nyukki wrote:http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12466.0.html

The Chinese bootleg remake of Final Fantasy 7 for the Famicom, with all its bugs, terrible music, graphics lifted from non-relevant FF games and unenjoyable difficulty, is getting a complete overhaul by the guys at RHDN.

nice! I played the ROM of Fami FF7 and made it to the boss of Shinra Tower last year. Got stuck and quit out of frustration, but I thought the bootleg version was actually a lot of fun.

I have a couple of carts of the Nan Jing version and really wanted to play it through, but the long and insanely hard battles just killed it for me. Made it to somewhere around the sewers after you jump out of the train early (as in several hours early 'cause of all those damn battles) into the game. I heard there's a game genie code that cancels all random battles, might try it one day in an emulator with that.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Here's a few a few I've played and thought were really well made.

Sonic CD Plus Plus - adds spindash and homing which "fixes" it imo.
Mario Vs. Airman - amazing hack that pits mario and luigi against Airman and his level.
Secret of Evermore 2 player Edition
Metroid 2 Color - The Gameboy game hacked to be a GBC rom.
Castlevania HOD - Revenge on the Findesiecle - Adds other characters including Julius, Megaman, Mario and other CV characters. Other enhancements too.
Extra Mario Bros was mentioned - +1
Final Fantasy Epica - I played through a lot of this when it came out and was impressed.
Metroid Origin - a very thorough complete hack of metroid in the spirit of the original, but somewhat improved (no arbitrary bombing or cheap traps) and completely different layout.
Final Fantasy 4, FF5 & FF6 GBA Sound Restoration
Megaman the Wily Wars Savegame patch

I'm sure there's a few I'm not remembering, but these are the major ones.

edit: Moemon
Zelda 3 Parallel Remodel
Earthbound - New Controls
Last edited by Anapan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Anapan wrote:Final Fantasy Epica - I played through a lot of this when it came out and was impressed.

Wow, that looks neat. One day, when I can find the time, I'd like to play through that as well as Endless Nova (more of a fan game than ROM hack).
ZeoDefender
24-bit

Post by ZeoDefender »

There's quite a few Super Mario World romhacks that are amazing. Many even better than the original game. All the games I'm linking to were designed to be beaten without save states and are fair. These games are hard, but not kaizo hard. My favourite out of these is A Super Mario Thing.

English:

New Super "Mario" World 2

Second Reality Project

Second Reality Project 2

A Super Mario Thing

Super Mario World Freedom -- most like the original game in difficulty, but a bit harder

Super Mario World Productions

Japanese (translation text file available):

Romancing Mario
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Vs Super Mario Bros hacked to work in a standard mapper (will work on PowerPak flash cart): http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1014/

Cool, maybe he'll do Vs Castlevania too!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I wonder is there a rom hack of Yoshi's Island that tones down the baby mario screams? That game is nearly perfect except for that and it seems like it would be a pretty simple hack.
cyborc
32-bit

Post by cyborc »

ninjainspandex wrote:I wonder is there a rom hack of Yoshi's Island that tones down the baby mario screams? That game is nearly perfect except for that and it seems like it would be a pretty simple hack.

that would be awesome. I have to play the game on mute or else I might risk punching a hole in my tv.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Indeed, the only reason I never got far in that game was because my wife would keep telling me to turn it off.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Ziggy587 wrote:I keep up with the hacks and translations uploaded to RHDN. There's been an explosion of new Sonic hacks this past week or two. This one caught my eye:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It basically makes Sonic 1 and 2 one single game. What really got my attention is that it says "Progress is saved automatically to SRAM". I wonder if it all works on real hardware, because this would be an amazing hack.

I just wan't to let you know a month ago I got my custom repros from Gamereproductions.com they work great. Only played the first few stages though but no freezes and the game saves automatically. Very pleased with his work and I'm going to order Super Mario Return to Dino Island from him too. Image