Rom hacks worth playing?

Emu Talk Goes Here
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Anapan wrote:Lol I might just have Krzy make me a cart when he does my super-famicom order, if only to see how well my pirate cart label art can encompass the content.

But on a Famicom cart.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Found a thread elsewhere that seems well researched. I didn't know that there was a Castlevania II retranslation that included a savegame and mini-map.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... t_of_list/
Also, last month my friend, finding SmokeMonster's collection lacking went through every entry on romhacking.org for NES, GB & GBC and personally patched the entire collection of english translations while cherry-picking (liberally) all of the the hacks. That's an impressive weekend project.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks for the link!

Anapan wrote:I didn't know that there was a Castlevania II retranslation that included a savegame and mini-map.

Oh, yeah! I've posted that hack in this thread, and I think a few times in the Castlevania thread as well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So there's been a colorized version of Super Mario Land 2 out for a while now, but now there's a colorized version of the first Super Mario Land!

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4477/

Image Image

Image Image

The down side is that one review says this hack has framerate issues. But maybe future revisions can fix that.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That's really cool. Beat that one last year & played it quite a bit as a kid. I remember opening it Christmas of 1990.

Did you guys play the TI83 calculator Mario hacks? I saw one recently that received a color update for a newer device. The TI83 game hacks might be worth a thread. I still have mine...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This one made me LOL.

Mario RPG Google Translated

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4490/

Best part is that it's playable on real hardware thanks to the Sd2snes now supporting SA-1.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MLIG just put out a nice video on ROM hacks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFN972KabBQ

I didn't know that someone was patching SNES games to use SA-1 as a way to combat slowdown. That's awesome, especially since the Sd2snes can play SA-1 now.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Un-Worked Working Designs!
I love almost all of the Working Designs games... I think I have almost every copy of Lunar 1 & 2 they released. We all love them for their quirky and hilarious dialog along with the premium packaging, and while we have love for the translations and releases many of us dislike how they also tweaked the difficulty from the original. The most famous difficulty increase was using magic points to save your game in Lunar 2.

I never realized that the difficulty was increased in almost all of their games. Anyway, the Un-Worked project was created to return the Working Designs' games difficulty to what it was in the Japan release. Nothing has been changed from the Working Designs translations, just a difficulty adjustment (and adding lower case text to the SEGA CD Lunar games). I am currently playing through the VAY version and am not struggling as much as I remember doing so in the past since it is now eaiser to grind levels since the INN only costs 4 gold per night in this version.

The Un-Worked Design games are:
PC Engine
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile
Exile II: Wicked Phenomenon

Sega CD
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Popful Mail
Vay

Saturn
Magic Knight Rayearth

PlayStation
Alundra
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Here is detailed information about what has been changed: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0
Here are the patches: http://stargood.org/unworked/index.php
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don’t remember Magic Knights Rayearth, Exile, or Cosmic Fantasy 2 being particularly hard. CF2 was mechanically broken, but the Japanese original was, too
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:I don’t remember Magic Knights Rayearth, Exile, or Cosmic Fantasy 2 being particularly hard. CF2 was mechanically broken, but the Japanese original was, too

I have never played any of these. I did beat Lunar 1 (it was my first RPG beaten ever!) and gave up on Lunar Eternal Blue. I have both of the Playstation versions, but I prefer the SCD ones. I have played VAY before and at the end, I gave up when the difficulty ramped up - I have since lost my save. A similar thing happened when playing Albert Odyssey - I loved the game but the length of the boss battles was frustrating... especially if you lost one after spending close to an hour (slight exaggeration) fighting it. I also gave up on this game.
I am playing VAY again and I love the lower cost of at the INN it makes grinding more tolerable. I do miss the automatic refill of HP and MP when leveling up. There is some give and take to these releases but I think it's cool to play the game the way it was in Japan. I think I will try Albert Odyssey next - or maybe I will try Magic Knight Rayearth since that and Popful Mail have always been games I have wanted to play.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.