Emu Talk Goes Here

You're sitting down to play a retro game. What's your preferred choice?

Emulation all the way!
9%
Mostly emulation
23%
About half and half
18%
Mostly real hardware
41%
Only real hardware for me!
9%

Total votes : 22
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: How do you retro game? Emulation vs the Real Deal

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:You’ll get them when it’s done…which may be a while. I’ve got someone putting up a ceiling later this month, then I anticipate at least a month of painting, remodeling, and shelf building before I’m ready to bring out the games.

Are you converting an area of unfinished basement or did you build an addition onto the house?

(no wait, you have a gaming shed, don't you?)

Nothing at the moment. We’re converting an unfinished basement, though.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:25 pm

We live in a world now where everything retro seems to have high value on the after market. Everything old is expensive now. I've recently been hearing about physical 3ds games jumping up in price

In light of that, one thing I'm actually starting to appreciate about emulation is that it saves me from having to handle my physical stuff. I don't have to worry about scratching a Playstation disc or denting a Super Nintendo box and thus, reducing the thing's value. I can have a nice physical collection that stays in nice, minty, condition while I just play the games via emulation. It's a nice convenience, and emulation for some stuff is really good now too.

Plus, I don't even have room to set up my CRT tv anywhere so trying to go for the authentic experience of playing some of these old games on original hardware with a CRT tv isn't practical
marurun

by marurun Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Despite the fact that I like having physical copies of Switch games, I actually resent that I have to switch cartridges. The convenience of the digital versions in terms of being able to switch games virtually on-the-fly without having to physically handle the system is just so nice. It's akin to being able to skip and jump to tracks on CDs instead of having to rewind or fast forward cassettes.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 am

After playing around with PS2 emulation, I've decided to sell my PS2 consoles and games. It's really that good.
That makes another system I don't have to store. I've gotten rid of a lot of my games and systems due to emulation quality these days.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:01 pm

Got rid if 3/4 of my collection. Was tired of all the space and didn't really have time to appreciate all the games. with prices the way they are i just decided to cash out, they kinda lost their value to me as well and prices weren't moving up in some time. I have a hdd loaded with roms/iso's to my xbox x with retroarch that does just fine. What i kept was my consoles and games for: colecovision, Atari 2600 and 7800, og xbox, Ti99, and 60g phat ps3
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:57 pm

I still only play my 8 and 16 bit consoles on real hardware, but I'll probably never use my PS2 or 3DS again. As Opa said, PS2 in HD is way better than original, and I've always hated the 3DS screen. Now that I can play the games in HD and in 3D with my VR headset, there's no reason to wiggle the janky 3DS screen around to try to get the exact correct viewing angle. I also rarely boot up the Switch because I can play the games in 4K. Many of the best games can be hacked for 60FPS, and offer other enhancements.. There's a bunch of GameCube games that have HD texture packs that also greatly benefit from emulation aside from the increased resolution of the 3D render.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:02 am

As of this year: Mister. Replaces most retro gaming pre-N64. I still own a few consoles that I'll probably never get rid of, and still want to re-own a N64, but this is the future.

MisterFPGA.jpeg
MisterFPGA.jpeg (143.27 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:07 pm

Playing retro games using real hardware and the software is all digital. With the ease of either hacking the console, or buying a thingamajig, it’s super easy to have access to an entire library of games, quite literally, at your finger tips.

So for the GBA, an Everdrive works wonders. GB/C/A all in one. For the DS, I hacked a DSi XL and have every DS game I ever want all in one place. I did the same with a PSP Go with caveat that I would need to cycle games in and out with my PC due to space. The key thing here for me is that I’m still using the original hardware. I tried the PC emulation thing but it never really felt right. To each their own I guess.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Emulation