Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
hobbes_182
8-bit

What PlayStation 2 Mech game is this?

by hobbes_182 Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:15 am

Hey everyone,

So a few days ago I was watching the PlayStation 2 video by My Life In Gaming. At 36:53 they showed footage of a Mech basically walking though what I would assume is downtown Tokyo.

Would anyone know which game this is? I am currently on a Mech kick, currently playing Front Mission 3. I would love to play this game:

SCREENSHOT

I have bookmarked the footage here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What PlayStation 2 Mech game is this?

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 am

Zone of the Enders?
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:18 am

That is actually from the Xenosaga series.

It's a RPG that is mostly on foot, but there are giant Mech battles throughout the series.

I forgot which of the trilogy of games that one is in, but the background is clearly a Xenosaga game.

Here is some information about the Xenosaga Mechs:

https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/E.S.

https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/A.M.W.S.

https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/A.G.W.S.
hobbes_182
8-bit

by hobbes_182 Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Zone of the Enders?

That was my first guess, I do have that game in my collection, I'll definitely check it out.

Markies wrote:That is actually from the Xenosaga series.

It's a RPG that is mostly on foot, but there are giant Mech battles throughout the series.

I forgot which of the trilogy of games that one is in, but the background is clearly a Xenosaga game.

Thanks! I would have never thought of that one. I'll start looking through these as well. I love that style of 3D :)
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 pm

The screenshot is from Xenosaga II close to the beginning of the game.

Xenosaga I and II have plenty of flaws but the story is compelling. Xenosaga III's gameplay is much better than the previous two games. Xenosaga II is probably the most derided in the series. It tried to do some goofy things with the combat system. There's also no money or shops in II and all characters can learn the same abilities for the most part. The art style changed drastically from the first game and many voice actors did not reprise their roles.

My advice for a newcomer is to watch the cut scenes for I and II on YouTube and then play III. Given the high value of III, you may want to emulate.
hobbes_182
8-bit

by hobbes_182 Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:29 pm

bmoc wrote:The screenshot is from Xenosaga II close to the beginning of the game.

Xenosaga I and II have plenty of flaws but the story is compelling. Xenosaga III's gameplay is much better than the previous two games. Xenosaga II is probably the most derided in the series. It tried to do some goofy things with the combat system. There's also no money or shops in II and all characters can learn the same abilities for the most part. The art style changed drastically from the first game and many voice actors did not reprise their roles.

My advice for a newcomer is to watch the cut scenes for I and II on YouTube and then play III. Given the high value of III, you may want to emulate.

Thanks for the awesome info. I'll definitely do that. I do love that type of art style. It gave me some Persona 4 vibes.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 am

That is some fucking Xeno ass art design I tells ya what. It's brilliant
Return to Sony and Microsoft