PS 4 Essential Games

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

PS 4 Essential Games

Post by Raging Justice »

So the PS 4 isn't "retro" yet, but as we move into PS 5 territory, it's an interesting time to look at the software library of the PS 4 and start determining what are its essential games. Maybe one day racketboy can use this thread for an article once the PS 4 actually becomes retro. Here's some games that I think every PS 4 owner needs to play. Feel free to add your own.

Since I was ranting in another thread about all the things I hate about modern gaming, I thought it would be nice to mention some modern games that I actually like, games that I think everyone needs to play if they own a PS 4. We don't have to focus on just exclusives. Third party titles are acceptable as I'm sure every console owner buys a few non-exclusive games for their system. Frankly, I imagine most people have been playing third party titles on the PS 4 anyway as it's been the best console of the past generation in my opinion. I'm hoping we can get more than just the obvious choices in this thread i.e. all of the well known AAA titles that every single modern gaming site would mention

Until Dawn
New Super Lucky's Tale
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Bayonetta - Remember that the original PS 3 release was considered to be an awful port
Blizzard Arcade Collection - They did more with this collection than simply re-release these old games. They threw in updated versions of them

There's plenty more I can probably think of, but I want to give others a chance to chime in

UPDATE: It slipped my mind that Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is actually available on PS 3 as well.
Last edited by Raging Justice on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: PS 4 Essential Games

Post by Sload Soap »

Shenmue III. Too powerful for the puny Xbox One to run, too much game for wimpy Switch owners to handle.

Bloodbourne is okay too I guess.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

The Last Guardian was the only reason I got the console.
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

Yeah, Bloodborne is the main reason I got a PS4, also it is (and currently still is) an exclusive, plus it is a phenomenal game in the SoulsBorne series. If you like playing those games, you can see the impact/growth it had on the From team in creating those games.

For other essentials that got physical releases I would say these:

Multi Plat
Shovel Knight - Great retro platformer
Resident Evil-es (REmake 2 and 3, 7 and 8 )
Sekiro (again, love From Software and this is one hell of a game)
Divinity OG Sin
Diablo III
Dark Souls 3 (remastered , 2, etc.)
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Devil May Cry 5
Mortal Kombats
MGS V

Exclusive Essentials
Uncharted 4
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Gran Tursimos

Possible Hidden Gems