Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Best way to clean glossy plastic?

by fuctfuct Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm

The glossy part of my PS4 has somehow managed to avoid any fingerprints, scratches or damage of any kind. Probably because I never touch it. Anyways, today it must be touched. I am putting in a 1TB SSD. What is going to be the best way to clean off the finger prints I am going to leave while doing so? I believe most of the few scratches on my black WiiU are from cleaning it a couple times. I used LCD screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth...

I do have cotton gloves that I wear when I am inside consoles (so I don't leave fingerprints on the metal inside... they cause corrosion over time.) but I feel like the action of pressing down and pulling will cause the cotton to scratch it.. lol ..
opa
128-bit

Re: Best way to clean glossy plastic?

by opa Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Pledge sprayed on a paper towel is all I use.
Maybe I'm not picky. :lol:
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:33 pm

opa wrote:Pledge sprayed on a paper towel is all I use.
Maybe I'm not picky. :lol:

Hey at least it smells good
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:55 pm

I cannot for the life of me get the MFing piece off. I don't think I've ever been so mad at a piece of plastic. Feels like i am going to break the entire console in half.

Watched like 20 YT vids and it just pops off for everyone with almost no effort. Mine was apparently super glued in place.

I give up. lol

It is now absolutely fucking covered in finger and palm prints though.. Fun times.
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Do you have to take the console apart to put in a ssd? Or does the drive come out in the back?

stickem wrote:Hey at least it smells good

Lemony fresh!
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm

You have to take the glossy part off to access the OG PS4 HDD.

fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Finally got it, lol. Everything is up and running.

Used LCD screen cleaner and a micro fiber cloth. I was SUPER gentle .. Scratched it haha.

F-U-C-K glossy consoles! :mrgreen:
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 am

Did this to a co-worker's dead-drive PS4 two weeks ago. I used 70% iso alcohol respirator wipes as I do for nearly everything shiny or metallic (these are free as work safety requires them). If there's any visible residual, I up the percentage and friction after testing the plastic (some cloud with prolonged exposure).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 pm

Cool, I use alcohol wipes (the diabetes injection site ones) for all kinds of things. The scratches I made, with screen cleaner and micro fiber, are fairly hard to see. Will probably be easy to buff out some day. I might try to track down a matte cover at some point though. That or use a green dish scrubby to give it a brushed look. Been too scared to try an entire console, like a WiiU, but this small straight piece would be a good test.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:17 am

If you need to re-polish plastic to remove fine scratches, car plastic polish is awesome. My brother (a ticketed collision repair technician) prefers one called Meguiar's PlastX. You can mask off textured surfaces you don't want to affect with tape. For plastic touch screens, I use a product called Displex and apply it with an eye-glass cleaner cloth.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Sony and Microsoft