Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Is there a way to fix sticky PS1/2/3 analog sticks?

by fuctfuct Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 pm

You know how when you leave a PlayStation controller unused for years and the analog sticks get all shiny and sticky? Is there a way to fix this? I just pulled out all my PS2 stuff and every single controller (7) is like this. I know i can replace them with Xbone sticks but i don't really want to.

I just checked my unused Ratchet and Clank Dualshock 3 bundle controller (used the game when i bought it, but not the controller) and its not sticky. Must be something to do with the sticks absorbing oil from fingies.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Is there a way to fix sticky PS1/2/3 analog sticks?

by Anapan Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:54 am

There's no cure for the rubber turning sticky. People tried scraping it off and using solvent, or rubbing corn starch into them. It's due to the soft rubber decatalyzing or something. It happens to the entirety of some 3rd party controllers that had the soft-feel rubberized exterior and the Gizmondo handheld.
You can buy replacement plastic/rubber bits that attach to the metal bars on the analog mechanism. There are (or at least there were) ones specifically for playstation controllers.
Taking the controller apart enough to swap the sticks out and reassemble is a bit of an ordeal, but it's totally worth it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:58 am

Anapan wrote:There's no cure for the rubber turning sticky. People tried scraping it off and using solvent, or rubbing corn starch into them. It's due to the soft rubber decatalyzing or something. It happens to the entirety of some 3rd party controllers that had the soft-feel rubberized exterior and the Gizmondo handheld.
You can buy replacement plastic/rubber bits that attach to the metal bars on the analog mechanism. There are (or at least there were) ones specifically for playstation controllers.
Taking the controller apart enough to swap the sticks out and reassemble is a bit of an ordeal, but it's totally worth it.

Yep, almost any electronics that used that rubber "soft touch" coating usually has turned sticky after 10 years or so. I had both a gaming mouse and my Rock Band MIDI adapter do this and with those I just removed it with 90% rubbing alcohol. In those cases, you just get down the plastic and they function fine. However, analog sticks definitely need that coating for grip and it's worth it to replace them if you can.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Sadly, it happens to the Slime Controller aswell
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Xbone stick upgrade it is. What a pain in the butt this is gonna be.

Too bad these don't fit the Dualshock 1/2/3. Would be much easier to just toss em' on .. I use them on 360/Xbone/PS4 and love them.

I originally bought them to avoid damage on the fall aparty (lol) DS4 sticks and now i hate playing without them.

EDIT: I tried to force one on without success. :/

EDIT: I tried using %99 alcohol on one controller. It took a while but i got most of it off. Still slightly sticky and annoying. Feels like im gonna transfer it to the buttons and jam them up faster than with normal fingie cheese.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 pm

The sticks i cleaned yesterday are sticky again, lol. Nowhere near as bad as before i "cleaned" them. Maybe if i clean it a few times over a few days i can get most of the juices out! haha

I ordered a ton of Xbone sticks from China regardless.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Cleaned the test controller's sticks a few times over the last few days. They feel pretty normal now. Likely to return, but playable for now.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Just an update for anyone that cares. I've cleaned the sticks on my test controller quite a few times, over quite a few days. Been using injection site alcohol swabs. These are only %70.

I stopped a while ago, and checking today, the sticks are only mildly sticky.. playable even. Looks like you can get away with just cleaning them regularly after they go gooey from age. I'm still going to replace them with Xbox One sticks though.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

thanks for the update! My one good PS2 controller is starting to have this issue. Once I can actually find some alcohol maybe I can finally get around to beating MGS2. Hard to find isopropyl alcohol in a college town already, on top of it being scarce with everything going on :x
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:44 pm

Last time I had this happen I paid a buddy to replace the sticks with some made out of 3D printed plastic. Might be a little overkill, but I personally hate sticky feeling things, so I thought it was worth it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Return to Sony and Microsoft