Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Preserving the original Xbox

by Nemoide Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm a fan of the original Xbox and would like to keep mine alive for as long as possible.I just learned about the clock capacitors that tend to go bad and leak all over the motherboards and am planning on replacing that ASAP. But I'm curious about what else I can do. Is it possible to backup my HDD and clone it onto a new drive before it dies? I've never looked into modding the Xbox and am not interested in running homebrew software for piracy or emulation -- I just want to hold onto my old saves and ancient DLC. I really don't know much about hardware, so I don't even know if I can just buy any new HDD to put into that thing.

What else can I do to keep this thing alive? Should I just recap the entire thing if I'm replacing the clock capacitor?
Are there any comprehensive but beginner-friendly guides on the subject floating around on the internet?
Ziggy587

Re: Preserving the original Xbox

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:31 pm

If you're going to replace one cap, and you have the ability to do it yourself, you might as well just recap the entire thing. Be sure to get Nichicon or Panasonic brand, those two are always cited as the best electrolytic caps.

Maybe look into replacing the thermal compound? A lot of thermal compounds will dry out over time, and then not work as well to transfer the heat off the chip to the heatsink. The Xbox could have used pads and not grease, which sometimes plays a role in spacing.

As for the HDD, I'm not really knowledgeable with Xbox hardware, but I seem to remember it wasn't the easiest thing to swap in a new HDD. I think they're encrypted. So cloning your HDD might not be so easy either. I'm not sure if there's methods to backup your saves to something external without modding.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:14 pm

It's been about 10 years buy that hdd took alot of steps to replace. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to shit like that but can follow a tutorial like a champ and eventually got it. In sure there's easier ways today. If you're going to do that might as well put cfw on it. I've had to change the dvd drive belts and that was easy. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have the 1.6 version which I believe didnt have that clock capacitor that eventually leaks. These things are solid so they should last a good while.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:37 am

Hope this helps man. I have a huge OGX soft spot 8)

Softmodding Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50934

Upgrade HDD Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46123

Scroll down to my first reply. Most people use CHIMP. Check JRocky's stuff for newest version. It now allows you to null (zero out) the HDD key to sixteen zeros.

I have 56 retail games & 13 homebrew titles on that HDD. You can fit a ton on a mid sized drive & save wear on DVD drive.

Remove the clock cap. As Ziggy mentioned, replace thermal paste. I went ahead & put in a larger fan.

80mm Fan Install:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50815

DM me for links to the entire library in HDD ready files. You just FTP them over once softmodded.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks!
Am I reading right that I'd have to delete everything off the harddrive to softmod it? I'm going to have to mentally work myself up to doing that. I can't stand that I bought a memory card to back up my saves and yet a large number of them are locked and can't be transferred onto the memory card for some weird reason that only makes sense to Xbox devs.

But I think I'll have to do it; I can imagine a future where oXbox consoles have become rarities because they'll just self-destruct if left alone...
This is going to be a larger project than I anticipated, I never even considered that thermal paste needs replacing. But I will accept this challenge!
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:54 pm

is it any easier to softmod those today? i had to play splinter cell to a certain point for the exploited save, download the softmod stuff to my pc, hack my xbox controller doggle to a male usb end to load the memory card up with the exploit and then replace that hacked end with the regular xbox male usb to run the exploit. that was my toughest part, getting the shit from my pc to the xbox to run it. there must be a simpler way by now.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:56 pm

stickem wrote:is it any easier to softmod those today? i had to play splinter cell to a certain point for the exploited save, download the softmod stuff to my pc, hack my xbox controller doggle to a male usb end to load the memory card up with the exploit and then replace that hacked end with the regular xbox male usb to run the exploit and the cfw disc i burned. that was my toughest part, getting the shit from my pc to the xbox to run it. there must be a simpler way by now.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:30 pm

stickem wrote:is it any easier to softmod those today? i had to play splinter cell to a certain point for the exploited save, download the softmod stuff to my pc, hack my xbox controller doggle to a male usb end to load the memory card up with the exploit and then replace that hacked end with the regular xbox male usb to run the exploit. that was my toughest part, getting the shit from my pc to the xbox to run it. there must be a simpler way by now.

Same model. There is a new dash by JRocky, but at it's core, similar process as I understand it.

That same dash allows you to null the HDD key which isn't an option on XBMC, Evo, or UnleashedX.

JRocky also developed the CHIMP app for easier HDD upgrades. You run the app off the stock OEM HDD vs a soldered mod chip or burned (Hexxen?) DVD.

Using 007 you don't have to play at all. Do it from beginning. Sellers also have the controller to USB dongles on ebay for ~3 bucks.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 pm

I didn't know you could zero out the HDD key!?! That's awesome, (and partially eliminates the usefulness of doing a good flash).

So if you had several oXbox's/HDD's, could you zero them all and in theory, swap them between systems (that have also been zeroed)?
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Until I had to fix one that had a dead hard-drive (Link), I always just used a the hard drive hot-swap method (disconnect the IDE cable while the hard drive is still powered & unlocked) then, using a PC with Xbox-HDM, clone the lock-key onto the donor hard drive. I soft-mod with the splinter-cell exploit using a controller-port to USB thumbdrive adapter. As soon as I attempt to load the savegame, it boots the softmod software.
If anyone needs a nand reader-writer cable, I could make another.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Sony and Microsoft