Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Preserving the original Xbox

by Jagosaurus Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 pm

@nemoide, If I recall correctly it does essentially erase the HDD. You might be able to transfer to USB (via controller port) if it's file size related.

@nightrnr, I seem to remember thinking there's a catch to hot swapping HDDs with nulled keys & it's more intended for easier rebuilding of drives... but now that I'm thinking about it, I can't recall exactly why :lol: maybe I'm wrong

Also as a caveat, the crew rebuilding the OG XBLive (project Insignia) has come out & said the HDD/EEPROM key is used as part of XBL auth. There's no way around it. So if you want to hop on Project Insignia later when (if) it's released, need to not have it nulled.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:58 pm

I was bored so I decided to replace the thermal paste. I've had the xbox most of its lifetime and lightly used so I know it was the original thermal paste. Its read 38c at startup and 58c after 30 minutes of game time. After new paste it reads 53c after the same amount of game time. Probably didnt need it because the old paste was still gooey after all those years. What took me the longest was getting the dam brackets off the heatsinks.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

It didn't hurt 8) that's about 10 degrees Fahrenheit difference. Like you eluded to, think it makes a huge difference on overall shape of console. Has it been in HVAC or hot attic, etc all come into play.

The earlier board revisions have a second fan directly on the chip. I've seen these be white powder lol.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 am

I've seen thermal paste powdered too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Sony and Microsoft