Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
kawaii_mom

b.l.u.e Legend of Water (for PS1)

by kawaii_mom Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm

I just wanted to open up a discussion on this beautiful oceanic game that was exclusive to Japan for the PS1.
A place where people who don't speak japanese can band together to create a loose walkthrough or FAQs.
Or to discuss such water aesthetics and recommend other games that look or feel similar.

So personally. I've been searching night and day for a way to save my progress in this game. Has anyone in this forum played b.l.u.e.? and if so, can you help me out with its save function?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C4oTFIC75A -> short gameplay footage
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: b.l.u.e Legend of Water (for PS1)

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:23 pm

I have not played this, but I have always been intrigued by this genre. Exhuminator, a member wh9 doesn’t post here anymore, was really into this genre, and I recall hi, really liking the Aquanauts Holiday, Everblue, and Endless Ocean games. Have you tried any of those? The closest th8ng I’ve played is probably Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (PS2), but that is a little more action-oriented.
Ack

by Ack Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know much about this one. I did find a website with some general information that says the game requires one block of memory card space, so it definitely has a save feature, but I did not see how to access it.

Also, is the game in Japanese, or can you play it in English, or at least somewhat mixed?
kawaii_mom

by kawaii_mom Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Ack wrote:Also, is the game in Japanese, or can you play it in English, or at least somewhat mixed?

unfortunately there is no english anywhere in the game except the option mention and bedroom computer screen (which, as far as I've played, is a rather arbitrary addition to the game) and it makes the point-and-click sections pretty bland. though on average there are no more than 3 interaction points per room and roughly no more than 15 rooms in the station. So with about 5-10 minutes of quickly dropping in and out of each room talking to all the NPCs at least once each I found the story will progress to the point of being able to go back out into the water to explore the next set of ruins. These segments have no real language requirements since there's no talking underwater anyway. I just love the physics and aesthetics of the ancient ruins exploration enough to bear through the point-and-click segments. Also the music is awesome throughout so that helps. one thing to keep in mind while swimming is there are 4 AI settings for the dolphin that you will need to switch between to to overcome certain obstacles and puzzles. in this order they are: explore/ teamwork(used for pushing large objects such as boulders)/ stay where you are/ and go ahead (used often to distract other creatures.

check out these two great videos: one is a sort of review/overview which elaborates the information I typed above and the second is a multi-part playthrough that serves as a useful guide on what to do next if you get caught somewhere due to the language barrier. ENJOY!! and post back here if you play it at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfeBPNZAoTE&t=382s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHSntvPHpF4&t=1192s
kawaii_mom

by kawaii_mom Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:32 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have not played this, but I have always been intrigued by this genre. Exhuminator, a member wh9 doesn’t post here anymore, was really into this genre, and I recall hi, really liking the Aquanauts Holiday, Everblue, and Endless Ocean games. Have you tried any of those? The closest th8ng I’ve played is probably Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (PS2), but that is a little more action-oriented.
WOW!! I didn't know there were so many similar games! thanks for posting these, I'll check them all out. coincidentally Wii is next on my console buy list so that I can play gamecube games but I'll certainly be picking up Endless Ocean. For some reason the first person games in this list don't look as exciting but PS2 is my console of choice so I'll mostly play some Everblue 2. The Ecco the Dolphin remake looks right up my ally though. did you enjoy it? it looks like it has atmosphere in abundance, but is there enough of narrative or action to motivation gameplay?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm

Happy to help! Please let us know your thoughts on these if you play them.

I enjoyed Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Universe right up until the first boss, a great white shark, that kept eating poor Ecco. The game seems only slightly less difficult than its 16-bit predecessors, and when I tried the game, I just wasn’t looking for that level of difficulty. It’s a good game! Just a bit too hard for me at the time.
Return to Sony and Microsoft