Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Hidden Agenda
Horizon Zero Dawn
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
Judgement
Killzone Shadowfall
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix* ** (for now, at least)
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix* ** (for now, at least)
Knack
Knack II
The Last Guardian
Matterfall
Medieval*
MLB The Show 19
Moss
The Order 1886
Persona 5**
PSVR Worlds (great for parties)
Project Sakura Wars
Ratchet & Clank
Resogun**
Shadow of the Colossus*
Spider-man
Star Wars: Rogue One X-Wing VR Mission
Tearaway Unfolded*
The Last of Us Remastered* **
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection* **
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Until Dawn
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Wipeout Omega Collection*
Yakuza 6

* Remake/Remaster
** Also on PS3/Vita

This is something I've been thinking about a little bit recently. I have a pretty saucy rig that can throw many frames at my display for games available on PC, but for my particular proclivities when it comes to language, I've found that it doesn't mesh well with the Japanese market practically rejecting the modern PC gaming space. This is mostly an issue for me with Shenmue I & II HD, and Dragon Quest XI on PC (ie. Steam): The former only offers Japanese language for voice, not text, while the latter has no Japanese language support whatsoever (partly because there's no Japanese audio for the game at all, except for on the new Switch release). Mods don't seem to be available to remedy this either (not surprisingly).

So, unfortunately, if I want to avoid playing Japanese games in translation, I would have to buy into a Japanese home console. I have no interest in the Switch. It's a stupid Homunculus that's virtually worthless to me because I essentially never play games away from a TV, and likely never will. That pretty much leaves the PS4 (or PS5, if that ends up having BC).

What are the exclusives for the console that make it worth having at this stage. One of the only things I can really think of that's not available on PC, or another console, that I would really be interested in is The Last Guardian. If I had a PS4, I would probably also want to have Kingdom Hearts III, although it's sort of weird that it's on the Xbone, but not PC.

What else is there? Japan-only games are, of course, also worth mentioning.
Last edited by pierrot on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: PS4 Exclusives (Reasons to Get One)

by Sload Soap Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:57 pm

The only Japanese releases I can think of off the top of my head would be City Shrouded By Shadow and Project Sakura Wars. CSBS is essentially Disaster Report 4, I think, but with Godzilla and EVAs and stuff. Don't know much about PSW.

As for just regular old exclusives Spider-Man is legit great and Bloodbourne is the best game of this gen...if you like the Souls games. Then there are really solid updates of older playstation titles in Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Wipeout Omega and Medieval if that's your bag. Not true exclusives I'll grant you but the best versions all the same. I suspect you wouldn't care too much for God Of War (2018) and frankly I think it is a bit overhyped and I wouldn't even bother with The Order 1886.

There's a few Yakuza games that are exclusive for the time being that being Yakuza 6 (probably not the best jumping in point) and the spin-off Judgement.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 am

I am looking to see what would be in the pile of exclusives that would interest me, but that doesn't need to be the criterion for the thread. I'm more interested in just getting a general picture of what exclusives are available for the platform. Maybe I'll update the OP with a list of them, too.

So Spider-Man is only on PS4? I did not realize that. I thought it was on PC, also. Project Sakura Wars (Shin Sakura Taisen) was a bit of a lapse on my part. Even though I'm not sure I like the invasion of the titty-monsters, as something of a recent fan of the series, I do want to play it at some point. I was also intrigued by Judgement when that was announced, so that's one for me to keep in mind. Still kind of amazes me that they got Kimura Takuya to be the main character for it; he's probably the most famous Japanese idol ever.

I've really only ever played a few minutes of Demon's Souls, but Bloodbourne does interest me, anyway. Not as personally keen on the remakes, but thanks for bringing them up too.
Cafeman
8-bit

by Cafeman Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm

The only exclusives that I can think of to recommend would be Spider-Man, and Horizon zero Dawn. I greatly enjoyed both of these games over the last year! Also, Wipeout Omega is a fun and fluid racer that I believe is an exclusive to PS4.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm

God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn (my 2017 GOTY)
Until Dawn
Infamous Second Son (and First Light)
The Last Guardian
Tearaway Unfolded
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Spider-man
Bound (my 2016 GOTY)
Killzone Shadowfall (great launch FPS)
The Order 1886 (ignore the hate, it’s great)
several great remasters (Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, etc.)

I’m a big advocate for the PSVR, too. I think it is the Sega CD of its day. Some exclusive titles for it (including a few where VR makes it a completely different thing):

Astrobot Rescue Mission (my 2018 GOTY)
Tetris Effect
Rez Infinite
Farpoint
Resident Evil 7
Ace Combat 7
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
PSVR Worlds (great for parties)
Wipeout Omega Collection
Star Wars: Rogue One X-Wing VR Mission (the best 20 minutes of Star Wars that exists video game form)
...in addition to scores of cross-platform with PC VR games that typically cost a lot more and require more setup and space...
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I put a list together in the OP with everything everyone has listed, as well as a bunch of stuff from some articles I poked through. I find myself doing a lot of "trust, but verify" while going through the lists.

I am interested in getting into VR at some point, but are there some exclusive components to Tetris Effect, Rez Infinite, RE7, or Ace Combat 7, dsh? Because they're available elsewhere, and on PC. I bought Tetris Effect recently, on sale, on EGS. I've really wanted to play that since it was announced, especially in VR. Rez Infinite, too.
Return to Sony and Microsoft