Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Xbox One A button..

by SuperDerpBro Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

The controller that came with my Xbox One S has a finicky A button. It registers a press maybe 7 out of 10 times. It's been that way from the day i bought my S console. You may, or may not, have read my post about buying an Xbox One S. I bought and returned 4 directly from Microsoft. Every single one had an annoying grindy fan. Making this even MORE annoying is the fact that the fan slowly spins even when the console is off! Since it is on my desk about 2.5 feet from my head i had to buy a switch to fully disconnect it from power. The constant grinding is unbearable lol. Anyways, I just gave up and kept the 5th one because i wanted to play the Master Chief Collection with my brother Co-Op.

I did a little digging and it seems this A button thing is a common problem with the new S controllers. People on Reddit talking about sending theirs in and getting another controller from MS with the same problem. So, i wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it?
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox One A button..

by Anapan Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 am

I can't test my xbox one controller as the phat xbox one receiver with official (tho no longer available) X64 drivers makes my windows 7 machine BSOD.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:58 am

SuperDerpBro wrote:I did a little digging and it seems this A button thing is a common problem with the new S controllers. People on Reddit talking about sending theirs in and getting another controller from MS with the same problem. So, i wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it?

You'd have to disassemble the controller and see what's going on. If it's a common issue, has no one done this on YouTube yet?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Not that i've found. Lots of other Xbone controller fix vids. But nothing specific to the a button problem. They look overly complicated inside. The last controller i messed with was the Dualshock 3. I put Xbone thumbsticks in it (Highly recommended). After doing that i'm not sure i even want to go inside the Xbone S controller lol
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Playstation controllers have always been a total PITA to deal with, internally, since forever.

When I was buying an XBONE controller for my PC a couple months ago, I remember seeing a bunch of older reviews talking about buttons sticking. Is that the issue you're having, or does the button spring back, but just doesn't register the input. A stuck button is potentially a mechanical issue. Missed inputs could be about the electrical contacts, or maybe (much less likely) some sort of environmental interference with the radio signal. Regardless, you probably won't be able to fix anything without performing a biopsy, like Ziggy said.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Button feels normal. Just like all the others around it. It just doesn't always register. Did a bit more reading and i found some people claiming it only does it if you press at certain angles. *shrugs* even if that is correct ... it's dumb. Who presses button perfectly straight down in the heat of gaming? :P

Guess i'm opening it up :(

My wired 360 pad, that i used to use for Steam, does the sticking thing. Works fine but sometimes when i let a button go it doesn't come right back up like it should. Almost like reverse input lag, lol. It always pops back up after a microsecond or two, and you can hear it happen, heh.

Really not feeling MS this gen. Hardware QC sucks. Dashboard sucks. Exclusives suck. Backwards compatibility is great tho. Was just playing some Crimson Skies with my shitty A button :mrgreen:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 am

SuperDerpBro wrote: Making this even MORE annoying is the fact that the fan slowly spins even when the console is off! Since it is on my desk about 2.5 feet from my head i had to buy a switch to fully disconnect it from power. The constant grinding is unbearable lol.

Turn off the "always on" feature. Your xbox is essentially in sleep mode like a PC. It boots faster that way, but never truly turns off. I toggled this off, causing the system to truly turn off vs a sleep or hibernate. Boot takes 50 seconds or so.

Returning 5 of them sounds like unrealistic expectations though. Fans are fans. It's a mechanical moving part.

Also, no issues with my A button. I play Halo. Never missed a jump.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:09 am

Jagosaurus wrote:Turn off the "always on" feature. Your xbox is essentially in sleep mode like a PC. It boots faster that way, but never truly turns off. I toggled this off, causing the system to truly turn off vs a sleep or hibernate. Boot takes 50 seconds or so.

I am fully aware of the many power settings. NONE of them fully turn the fan off. No matter what i choose in the settings the fan always spins 24/7. Very slowly when it's "off" but it is still spinning. And grinding.

Jagosaurus wrote:Returning 5 of them sounds like unrealistic expectations though. Fans are fans. It's a mechanical moving part.

I have been building PC's since the late 90s. I have owned pretty much every console that has a fan. 8 of them are on my desk right now. All but the Shitbone S are NOT grinding. I know what a non broken fan sounds like. All 5 of my S consoles had cheap, shitty, grindy fans. There is a vid of one of my returned consoles on the forum, if you care to find it. I will be replacing the fan with a quality PC fan when the warranty is up.

Edit: found it.. is much worse in person. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... Rua21EY1FB

It's about 3x as loud in real life. And only gets louder when you are in game. Hard to enjoy a game with a constant "robot crickets" sound filling the room! lol.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 am

I watched vid. It does grind more than typical. As a reference, I worked in a PC hardware repair shop for 2 years & have 9 years in tech industry. My fan isn't silent by any means (also One S). It isn't Dreamcast level, but not as good as an aftermarket PC fan. I also play with headphones for game sounds & mic 90% of the time so I don't really notice it.

SuperDerpBro wrote:Since it is on my desk about 2.5 feet from my head i had to buy a switch to fully disconnect it from power.

That's likely some of the issue in your case. Most people have them at least 6-10 feet away.

I don't mean this as a knock, my mom legit has OCD, but you have to be in the 1% who would go through the steps, time, & effort to return 5 consoles consecutively. My point remains there bud. You seemed potentially a little heated, but we've established in other threads you have OCD tendencies in your game collecting/hobby at a minimum. Didn't mean anything by it. I grew up with it in my household around daily life.

Edit: grammar

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:That's likely some of the issue in your case. Most people have them at least 6-10 feet away.

I don't mean this as a knock, my mom legit has OCD, but you have to be in the 1% who would go through the steps, time, & effort to return 5 consoles consecutively. My point remains there bud. You seemed potentially a little heated, but we've established in other threads you have OCD tendencies in your game collecting/hobby at a minimum. Didn't mean anything by it. I grew up with it in my household around daily life.

Nothing to do with my supposed OCD. It is a defect. I payed multiple hundreds of dollars for a NEW product. If it was used i would have just cracked it open and put a new fan in it (like the many you tube vids of people doing exactly this to fix this very issue.. that is, apparently, just my "OCD"). All 5 were faulty. So I attempted to acquire a NON-faulty one. 5 times.

It also has nothing to do with fan loudness. The Dreamcast fan is loud.. but it doesn't GRIND. My OGPS4 fan is pretty loud.. but it doesn't GRIND. The aftermarket fans i put in my 360 are quite loud... but they don't GRIND.. ect. MS also agreed with me when i sent them a video each time. Each rep i sent it to was a different human as well.

Also, i have every other console i play within a few feet of my head (and 3 PCs). NONE make me want to tear my hair out with constant grindy, chirpy, faultyness like the Xbox One S Faulty Fan Edition :)

I still love you. Merry X-Mass :)

EDIT: Wonder if my a button problem is just OCD!? :D Funny how nobody would say that. But someone would say that about a cheap, 3 cent, borked, non-replaceable, known issue, fan MS used during the manufacturing run i had the misfortune of buying a console in..

A lot of work for an issue that isn't real .. https://youtu.be/TOnVltxzYMw :D

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +S+ticking
Return to Sony and Microsoft