Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Ziggy587

Re: Mega Man X Collection (PS2) Questions

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 am

I know that the X collection has 480i menus and switches to 240p for the games. I can check on the MM collection later and see if it does the same, but I'm assuming those are emulation and not ports, so who knows.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am

Ziggy587 wrote:I know that the X collection has 480i menus and switches to 240p for the games. I can check on the MM collection later and see if it does the same, but I'm assuming those are emulation and not ports, so who knows.

Yeah, let me know of you get to test man. I'm interested.

It's my understanding the MM anniversary set is based on the PS1 Rockman Collections on PS1 for 1-7 which were in 240p originally on PS1. 8 is based on PS1. No idea on 7 (PC or SNES?). Now... are they porting or emulating PS1... hm...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

I just popped my disc in and checked, the entire game appears to be 480i. I booted into 1, 7 and 8. I think it's safe to assume that 2-6 are the same as 1.

I didn't know there was a collection on the PS1. I wonder if it's emulation or ports.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I just popped my disc in and checked, the entire game appears to be 480i. I booted into 1, 7 and 8. I think it's safe to assume that 2-6 are the same as 1.

I didn't know there was a collection on the PS1. I wonder if it's emulation or ports.

Thanks for testing man. At least the controls aren't backwards like GCN version. Put on my list to place on OGX HDD, even at 480i.

Yeah, so MM 1-6 got released individually in Japan on PS1. There's some remixed music and some other slight changes IIRC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockman_Complete_Works

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm

I remembered the MM Anniversary collection on PS2 being 240P as well, but it's definitely 480i. Since being ported from PS1, they replaced ingame gui elements with enhanced definition graphics. The character and level graphics are up-blurred to 512x480 interlaced but the HP gauge, weapon select screen etc are new and twice the resolution.
I must've been loading GSM to switch to a non-interlaced mode before I started it.
Some more details on it from MMKB.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

For those still griping about MMAC on Gamecube, there is a patch for it:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2286/

Useful if you plan on putting on a Wii or something.
I know you could always emulate NES/SNES on Wii too, but I appreciate the hack anyways.

PS2 version is closer to the PS1 ports though, what with more arranged music and all. I have both ports.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:52 pm

That's cool. Never heard that GCN patch referenced. I remember ppl tripping when that released.

The OGX MMA port has button mapping 8) ... but no MMX port :(

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 am

So MMAC looks to be 480p on OGX per Wiki. After finding that out.. interested to test it. Assuming it's just the 240p line doubled.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 am

Meant to say I have both the PS2 and GameCube ports (of both MMAC and MMXC).

I used a programmable gamepad on GameCube when it was 1st released. The ONLY way to fly back then.

It would be really cool to have the import Rockman PS1 ports, but the cost and/or amount of space needed is not quite worth it to me. I keep meaning to try emulated NES games on my PSIO equipped PS1 though. I never learned to make an ISO for that (and when isozone went down, I lost my go-to site for custom images that had all the work done. These days it's unnecessary, but would be a nice curiosity).

Didn't stop me from putting MM1 fanport with arranged soundtrack on my Super SD System 3 though. I'm fickle and weird.

oXbox is an emulation powerhouse for these games (although,I haven't tried the PS1 X games emulated yet). So the lack of MMXC never bothered me. Actually, many prefer the SNES version of MMX3 over the disc version that is on the collection.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 am

nightrnr wrote:Didn't stop me from putting MM1 fanport with arranged soundtrack on my Super SD System 3 though. I'm fickle and weird.

Whoa, that sounds awesome! I'm gonna have to give that a try. Do you know where I can grab it from?

nightrnr wrote:Actually, many prefer the SNES version of MMX3 over the disc version that is on the collection.

Yeah, I remember that being a thing when the MMXC first came out. Why was it? I seem to remember something about the music. Was that all? Whatever the reason, apparently it was popular enough complaint because IIRC the most recent X collection has the SNES version of X3.
Return to Sony and Microsoft