Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: Mega Man X 4, 5 & 6 - PS1 vs PS2 ?

by theclaw Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 am

Xeogred wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Hmm, I didn't realize this had a GCN port as well. The PS1 games must have been ported to the PS2 then. They certainly can't be emulated.

Just be weary of how painful these games would be with the GC controller. They even switched buttons around on the NES Anniversary collection... yikes!

The X series already had remapping for the main buttons. That isn't an issue.
It's impossible to exactly use the SNES layout on a GC controller.

Anniversary Collection and X Collection also removed PS1 features like rumble or PocketStation support.
Lum fan.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am

Whoa, I forgot there was Pocketstation support until you mentioned it. There was a cutman thing? I actually never enjoyed any of it because I didn't have one, but I have two Pocketstations now.
I don't even remember how I was transferring apps to the devices. Was it with burnt discs running a homebrew file transfer app?

At the very least, I have not played nearly enough Doko Demo Issyo in the past 10 years. I almost picked Toro as my avatar.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

by POOPIESkillz Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:16 pm

The games should mostly play the same. After the criticism of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection which was done by a third party studio (can't remember which one), Capcom did the Mega Man X Collection in house. On a side note as others have said, the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on PS4 is definitely a great way to play them today. I guess not everyone had this experience, but I have two different sets of component cables for my PS2. One is made by Monoprice and the other I'm not sure but I know its not official. Anyway, if memory serves, the main menu and the games switch resolutions so my component cables would give my TV the dreaded "no signal" message. At that point, I just popped the original discs and carts into my PS3 Slim and RetroN 5 respectively. Same thing happened to me with a PS2 game called Phantom Breaker.
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:31 pm

POOPIESkillz wrote:the main menu and the games switch resolutions so my component cables would give my TV the dreaded "no signal" message.

Ugh, that's the worst! Last year I drew a line in the sand at 480p and have been playing all lower resolutions on a CRT again. It's not nearly as hard to get things too look good (often taking no effort at all) and everything "just works."
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

by POOPIESkillz Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
POOPIESkillz wrote:the main menu and the games switch resolutions so my component cables would give my TV the dreaded "no signal" message.

Ugh, that's the worst! Last year I drew a line in the sand at 480p and have been playing all lower resolutions on a CRT again. It's not nearly as hard to get things too look good (often taking no effort at all) and everything "just works."

I'm actually having trouble with my Wii and PS2 using component as we speak. I'm using them on a "new" TV and it just doesnt seem to display correctly at all. I say "new" because my main HDTV used to be a Hitachi from 2014 that was good with everything I threw at it.

But that TV's backlight died on me so my girlfriend's mom gave me her dad's old TV as a temporary replacement. Its a 32" Sony Bravia from somewhere between '09 - '13 if I had to guess. Long story short, when we moved into our new place, I got a nice new 4K HDTV as my game room's modern display. Trouble is, the new one only has HDMI and composite so I've also kept the Bravia around since it has those inputs plus component and VGA.

When I'd use the Wii and PS2 on the Hitachi with component, I got a ton of ghosting at first. But once I got different cables, it was perfect. But now, it seems like no matter what cables I use with the Bravia, it looks wrong. Lots of artifacts, pretty blurry even for 480i, ghosting in a few games such as Star Wars Battlefront, and it seems like the aspect ratio is just a complete disaster. Both the PS2 and Wii settings are set to 16:9 and the games that support it are set to 16:9 but the TV keeps them either in 4:3 or a stretched 4:3, AKA not a real 16:9. Any insight on this? Should I post this in another thread?
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Go ahead and start a new thread for this so we don't go off-topic here. A number of us here love to chat about this type of stuff!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

by POOPIESkillz Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:22 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Go ahead and start a new thread for this so we don't go off-topic here. A number of us here love to chat about this type of stuff!

Posted a thread about the topic if anyone is interested
Ziggy587

Re: Mega Man X Collection (PS2) Questions

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 am

I originally posted this thread asking about X4, 5 and 6. Now I'm re-purposing this thread to ask about X and X2 as well.

How are Mega Man X and X2 on the PS2 collection? Were they actually ported, or are they being emulated? If it's emulation, is it PS2-era emulation quality? Do they play as good as the SNES versions, or are there the typical emulation caveats.
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Pretty sure they are both ports and play great as far as I can remember. The X Collection was the first to add saves in place of the password system and a great way to play the games.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:26 pm

So is the original Mega Man Collection on PS2/OGX/GCN also in 240p? Could've sworn that one was 480i.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Sony and Microsoft