Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Ziggy587

Mega Man X Collection (PS2) Questions

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:15 pm

New question: How are Mega Man X and X2 on the PS2 collection? Were they actually ported, or are they being emulated? If it's emulation, is it PS2-era emulation quality? Do they play as good as the SNES versions, or are there the typical emulation caveats.

Original post below...

I have a question about Mega Man X Collection for the PS2. Being that Mega Man X 4, 5 and 6 were PS1 games, and the PS2 plays PS1 games perfectly (in most case), are there any differences? Are you just playing the PS1 games on a PS2 disc? Or were they ported to PS2?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Mega Man X 4, 5 & 6 - PS1 vs PS2 ?

by Xeogred Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Been too long since I really played that collection, but I booted it up earlier this year when the X Legacy Collection dropped and noticed the SNES X's had weaker sound emulation and colors on the PS2 collection. X1-X3 are problematic on the Legacy Collection with input lag, though I still knocked them out easily after I enabled Game Mode on my TV again haha... but X4-X6 are INCREDIBLE on the new X Legacy Collection for the PS4 version. The loading times are practically instant and I could not really detect any input lag. You can also play every game in different regions even beyond the US and Japanese releases, if you really see fit to do so (funny enough the Japanese voices are deeper and more masculine than the English ones, usually don't expect that). I will be going back to the PS4 for X4-X6 from here on.

Googling around some, it sounds like the PS2 collection still has faster loading than the originals and there's not any issues with X4-X6. So it might be a better route than playing the original copies. And well, the PS controller is perfect for all six games.

Also have to say after venturing through them all again this year, I freaking LOVE X6. *mic drop* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3Me0jikwE
theclaw
Next-Gen

by theclaw Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:37 pm

X Collection loads a bit faster on Gamecube than PS2, but I'll concur the PS2 controller is preferable.
X6 is missing the cutscene voices in this collection.

I haven't seen technical details about how it runs the games. Not that I'd know where to look.
Lum fan.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Interesting.

It's worth noting regardless, the voices in X6 are Japanese anyways. :lol: Capcom got pretty cheap on X5/X6.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Hmm, I didn't realize this had a GCN port as well. The PS1 games must have been ported to the PS2 then. They certainly can't be emulated.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Hmm, I didn't realize this had a GCN port as well. The PS1 games must have been ported to the PS2 then. They certainly can't be emulated.

Just be weary of how painful these games would be with the GC controller. They even switched buttons around on the NES Anniversary collection... yikes!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh, I already own the two PS2 collections. I've had them for some time now, I've just never played them.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:19 am

PS2. Loading times are faster. They still play at 240P & you can plug them directly using component cables rather than transcoding RGB. Never noticed any problems with gameplay.
I heard about the wonky controls on Gamecube and stayed away. Too bad as I really like the Hori Digital Controller.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 am

Anapan wrote:you can plug them directly using component cables rather than transcoding RGB

Psh. Well I'm a super snob now with a Sony PVM!

Anapan wrote:Too bad as I really like the Hori Digital Controller.

Well, for the PS2, ever try this thing?

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Oh yeah, the Retrocon! Yes, I tried one tho the NIB one I bought never worked okay. I had high hopes for it, but it was crap. Too bad. My favorite PS2 controller is still the Madcatz Microcon due to the way the analogs sorta jump/stick in the central dead zone and to the vertical and horizontal axis; You can't feel it, but if you look at it's position on an analog readout it's easy to see. Sadly 2 out of 3 of those I bought were not functioning properly either. I think I will buy another Retrocon now that you've reminded me of them. Maybe I'll win the lottery and get a properly working one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Sony and Microsoft