What are your favorite XBLA Indie games?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

What are your favorite XBLA Indie games?

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I happened upon a thread at the shmups.system11 forum on favorite Xbox Live Indie titles which got me searching around and subsequently finding "best of" pieces at game radar and other spots. So I've been grabbing these as most are a buck, with some exceptions. While the actual program for "new" games is closed, those in development will still come out. I'm not sure what happens at the end of 2017 - if these work offline or what, but i'd have to think they wouldn't take paid content away.

So what are some of your favorite must-have titles?

Here's my library:

Lair of the Evildoer
Pixel Blocked
Star Ninja
Escape Goat
radiangames JoyJoy, Inferno and Ballistic (all twin stick shooters)
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1
Wizorb
Cthulhu Saves the World
Prismatic Solid
Break Limit
Snops Attack! Zombie Defense ($2.99)
Grid Space Shooter
Shoot 1UP
REVOLVER 360
Infinity Danger
Orbitron: Revolution
ChronoBlast
Twin Tiger Shark
College Lacrosse 2012
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What are your favorite XBLA Indie games?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Oh god, Cthulhu Saves the World is one of my favorite RPGs ever. No lie. Also, you NEED to play Baby Maker Extreme (either of them; the second one is better honestly) and, if you want a stupid ass game for the lulz, Shark Attack Deathmatch. Zombie Strippers Stole My Heart and Ate My Brains is also a decent FPS with zombie prostitutes if you're drunk.

EDIT: Just looked at my Backloggery. Mount Your Friends, One Finger Death Punch, and Uncraft Me are all great too. My all time favorite Xbox indie game, though is Super Amazing Wagon Adventure. It's like Oregon Trail but if I had made it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Give me the scoop on Uncraft Me and Mount your friends please. Already added a couple more to my list!
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

River City Ransom + Zombies = Dead Pixels

I got my one dollar value out of it.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Give me the scoop on Uncraft Me and Mount your friends please. Already added a couple more to my list!

Uncraft Me is a 2D platformer in which everything is made of cube blocks (hence the name's reference to Minecraft). You make your way through each level activating rocket launchers that blow away part of a force field trapping scantily clad goddesses (these are not made of square blocks; they're like hand drawn art style). Or, if you press the X button, the scantily clad goddesses are instantly replaced with kittens in case your mom/girlfriend/wife/judgemental roommate walks in suddenly. It's a lot of fun but the last level or two are BRUTAL.

Mount Your Friends is one of the most entertaining two player competitive games I've ever seen. I first heard about it on one of RoosterTeeth's Achievement Hunter videos. You basically control a generic body builder with a gigantic, floppy dick, and you and your opponent take turns climbing up one another, each turn using a new well-endowed body builder, growing the tower of fleshy man-meat. Whoever fails to get a new guy to the top of the penis-pillar withing 60 seconds loses. It's a LOT of fun. You also start off climbing on top of a goat. Poor goat.

I also echo Omerta's endorsement of Dead Pixels.

Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

There was a game on there called Nasty that I paid I think a buck for. It's essentially a Contra-style game but with single screen levels. You have to clear all the enemies on a timer and I think there's like 100 levels. Two player co-op as well. I think it's incredibly fun for the price.

Also, Breath of Death VII was a funny little retro RPG but I didn't play it a ton.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Snatch1414 wrote:There was a game on there called Nasty that I paid I think a buck for. It's essentially a Contra-style game but with single screen levels. You have to clear all the enemies on a timer and I think there's like 100 levels. Two player co-op as well. I think it's incredibly fun for the price.

Also, Breath of Death VII was a funny little retro RPG but I didn't play it a ton.

Yeah, Breath of Death VII is by the same guys who made Cthulhu Saves the World. I have it downloaded, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Saturn 9 is a decent little thriller-esque adventure game that kind of has the feel of some of the late 90s first person shooters. I haven't played much into it, but it's one of the games where you could tell the developer actually tried instead of just "lel boobeez" or "You know what the 360 needs? Its 8 billionth zombie game/Minecraft clone."

aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

Astroman - fun little Metroidvania type game
Olu - Rez clone
Break the Invaders - Space Invaders clone
3D Infinity - rail shooter with anaglyph 3D effects
Platypus - claymation hori shmup, I think it's an Amiga port (also on PSP and Steam)
Dysnomia - top down shooter
NanoSquad - multiplayer hori shmup with RPG elements
Vorpal - danmaku shmup boss rush, cheap and fun
Mech Gladiator - kind of an Armored Core Lite with little customization (also on iOS)
Redshift - danmaku shmup
Bleed - Run 'n gun w/ co-op (also on Steam)
Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1 - colorful, Genesis-style platformer (also on Steam)
Treasure Treasure: Fortress Forage - Game Boy-style teamwork-based platformer, kinda like Lost Vikings
Curse of the Crescent Isle - NES-style platformer
Protect Me Knight - NES-style tower defense, developed by Ancient (Sega's Oasis series)

i also really liked the various avatar games (Avatar Golf, Avatar Karting, Avatar Drop, AvaGlide, etc), they were cheap and fun for what they were.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

Most of the ones I'd recommend have been mentioned already. I might also suggest Murder Miners. It's a Minecraft styled FPS modeled after the gameplay of Halo 2. I believe it's $3.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Omerta wrote:River City Ransom + Zombies = Dead Pixels

I got my one dollar value out of it.

Same, though I need to eventually go back and finish it. I never did beat it on the Hardest difficulty.