Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Radica Gamester Clash Pads - Two Controllers For One Player

by CRTGAMER Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Scroll further down for the review. I kept all the older edits in this OP when I was first searching for this obscure and unique controller set.

OLDER POST

Name of PS2 Change Opponent Player Settings Hardware?

In my quest to always play a game in a new way, I missed out on buying an unusual peripheral for the PS2 or maybe I do have it buried some where? The box attaches in between the Controllers and PS2 console; the hardware would allow one player to trick swap player control functions on the other player.

I know it was 3rd party and was for two players. Anyone know what this was called?

==========================================================

EDIT1

Radica Gamester Clash Pads

Found it! Placed an order thru Amazon. :mrgreen:

I have a certain Tank Game where I want to duel stick drive as in Battlezone. The duel stick only works in two player mode. Player One is the tank driver, second player is the gunner. This unit just might work out; taking over player two controls on the fly to fire the main gun. :idea:

Gamester Clash Pads - Features
Creates multiplayer mayhem by allowing players to disrupt each other's controllers
Knockout and switch buttons, alter analogue sensitivities and even take full control of your opponent's pad!
Individual controller set -ups enable gamers to create a level playing field
Contains two high quality ergonomic joypads and a central switch box
Disable all functions to use as standard controllers

PDF Manual - https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ser ... Wg8iG8e0Kw

==========================================================

EDIT 2

PS2 Simple 2000 Series Vol. 32: The Sensha

A tank game released only in Japan and as Tank Elite in Europe, this is the game I wanted to try these unusual controllers on. However, not as the Clash Pads were intended as a button swap trick on the other player. I wanted two controller access, all the buttons and sticks on one controller. :?

When in single player mode to drive the tank, only the left analog stick is used. The main gun turret is controlled by the right stick for vertical and triggers for horizontal. When in two player coop mode, Player One has the option of dual analog stick driving the tank tracks as in the Arcade game Battle Zone. I really like controlling the tracks pulling back and forth on each stick. This takes away from adjusting the main turret gun site which is then operated by coop Player Two second controller. No more sideways trigger of the turret, the gun site now completely analog stick controlled.

Gamester Clash Pad - Time Limit
The pad actually works! You have complete control of the second player controller including ALL buttons and both Analog Sticks! However, only for a set time limit and restart duration.

Player One Clash Dongle Setting
Possess On - Take over Controller 2 for ten second duration
Frequency Setting 1 - Take over Controller 2 every 32 seconds

Clash Pad Instructions.jpg
Clash Pad Instructions.jpg (179.82 KiB) Viewed 26762 times

To engage the other controller (once your controller red clash light is on) simply press the center Clash Button located by the light. Your controller Player One now becomes controller Player Two for ten seconds. It then locks back to Player One controller for a minimal of 32 seconds. After that time has elapsed the red light comes on again allowing taking over Player Two controls again for another ten second access.

So how does this transpose to The Sensha? Due to the time duration and frequency limit, a new strategy has to be deployed for this tank game. Fortunately so far in the first few levels with less enemy tanks the Clash Pad actually works very well. Drive the tracks with two sticks steering the tank to get into position. Once in range tap the Clash Button, adjust the turret cannon to sight up to the enemy tank and blast away. Only ten seconds, but plenty of time to home in and place a few shots.

Drive to hunt and evade enemy tanks for 32 seconds before the gunner controls are available again. This does seem limiting, but I like the new different way to play this game. The control of the driving and adding of the planning strategy adds more depth since one has to coordinate the attacks with the time limits set. No more mindless take a chance charges. Later levels that have more enemy tanks really adds to the shoot and evade by hiding behind a structure or cliff edge. Perhaps this even adds a bit more realism to tanks of the past that did not have auto leveling gun turret aim of modern tanks. Stop the mobile cannon to shoot the dead aim shot. :mrgreen:

A modification to get rid of the time limits for an instant unlimited controller swap on the fly could be another approach.

Play Two Player Games in a new way
These controls bring to light possibilities of two player games and in particular coop type games. Imagine controlling a second player team control in different time bites, an interesting concept to try. A new type of game play with multi task control all on one controller along the lines of PS2 Cookies and Cream and the double play mode in PS2 Raiden III. :idea:

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Name of PS2 Change Opponent Player Settings Hardware?

by Hobie-wan Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:12 am

If such a thing exists, it has to have a name like "The Jerkface Box" or "I want my friends and I to get into fistfights".
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:45 am

I've heard of such things being custom-built for various systems (Desert Bus for Hope added one in to make the trip more entertaining in the last year or two) but I never heard anything about a legit version being made, even third party.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:If such a thing exists, it has to have a name like "The Jerkface Box" or "I want my friends and I to get into fistfights".
KalessinDB wrote:I've heard of such things being custom-built for various systems (Desert Bus for Hope added one in to make the trip more entertaining in the last year or two) but I never heard anything about a legit version being made, even third party.

I have seen the 3rd party adapter box sold in the US, but never bought it maybe about a year ago?

As Hobie mentioned, looked like a silly way to play a game cheating the opponents buttons by swapping them around during a game. However, it could lead to interesting game play for the solo player. I am looking as using it for on the fly button swaps to enable multi button function in certain games.

Google searches tune up nothing, I really should have bought it when I saw it.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Name of PS2 Box Change Opponent Player Settings - FOUND

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:46 am

Blah Ha, I found it! Posted in the OP. :D

d123456
Next-Gen

Re: Name of PS2 Box Change Opponent Player Settings - FOUND!

by d123456 Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:28 pm

My head just exploded
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:45 am

d123456 wrote:My head just exploded

:lol:

For another explosion by tank, see the edited OP. I reviewed the new play approach in an import PS2 game. I redited the OP due to the server crash and added a bit more info, glad I had my review archived. :D

GideonBravier

Re: Radica Gamester Clash Pads - Two Controllers For One Pla

by GideonBravier Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Wow - I happened to be searching for these and found this thread - I created these back in 2001 while at Radica Toys/Gamester (got bought up by Mattel) - It was a fun project to have been a part of. I probably have some sketches somewhere...
Return to Sony and Microsoft