Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Playstation Vita thread

by samsonlonghair Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:19 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:I can understand that. I personally have amassed quite the Vita collection. It's been a very fun, and rather expensive platform to collect for. I say expensive, because most of its releases were printed in a highly limited fashion, or only received English versions as Asian import releases. For a fan of Japanese game design, the Vita is a true boon. I think the Vita will become a popular platform for retro gamers years down the road. A lot of people missed something amazing with this platform during its actual run. I wonder how expensive some of the Vita exclusives will eventually become.

Speaking as someone who is mostly only interested in Vita's JRPGs...

I can see this system one day being popular among those who collect full sets of games. But the quality of these games is severely lacking -- countless examples of weeb bait, eroge dungeon crawlers, and so on. Incredibly disappointing compared to the 3DS, DS, PSP, and basically any popular retro handheld or console. I can't see folks earnestly discussing "Vita hidden gems" decades down the road.

As it stands now, I think the best Vita games are actually ports and/or multi-platform titles. If there are any obscurities worth playing that I haven't discovered, I hope they end up ported to the Switch (or whatever) where they'll be more accessible.

You nailed it, bone. There's collectability for sure, but so many games look like... what's that phrase? "Weeb bait eroge dungeon crawlers"? Yeah, I can't seriously see myself playing any Vita games that have been released in the last four years.

I'm thinking that most of the best Vita games came out early in the system's life. There were minor entries in popular series like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted. These games will keep Vita popular among fans of these respective franchises. I guess a good analogy might be the Castlevania and Mega Man games released for gameboy. Even if you don't think the gameboy entries are particularly good, you need them to complete your collection. Likewise, you can't complete an Uncharted collection or Assassin's creed collection without the Vita games.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:50 pm

I think the Vita will be an interesting thing to collect for for people who like to play those types of games on the go (although I honestly would never want to be caught outside my house playing most of those Xp), as most games coming to Vita, and most of the best games for it, aren't actually exclusive. They have ports or got ports to other systems, whether it be Switch, PC, or PS4. There are a lot of weird/neat games on Vita, but the system only has a few dozen games that are genuinely exclusive (domestically, anyhow).

EDIT: Looking at the list Wikipedia has of Vita-exclusive games, which is certainly not definitive as it's lacking UPPERS at the very least, it seems to me that a lot of the best Vita exclusives never came out in English and are very much not import friendly (Tales of Innocence R, UPPERS, Phantasy Star Nova, to name a few I know of off the top of my head). To the Vita-enthusiasts on here, I'm curious on what your favorite English Vita exclusives are :O (as most of what I've played on it has been games we never got XP)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 am

Just to call it out, there are lots of Vita games that appeared on PS3 or PS4 too, but I'd want them on Vita because it's portable. Discussing a system solely for it's exclusives can overlook some of the reasons people might want it.
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Haven't seen it mentioned, but The Bit Trip is just $0.99 right now. Added that to my Vita without hesitation.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 am

I think I do own a good number of Vita games that are console exclusive, but yeah if you include PC into that mix there isn't a whole lot on Vita that isn't available elsewhere. I do prefer playing on consoles and handhelds more though (plus I like a lot of those weeby games :P), so the Vita is really nice for me.

Plus I'm finding more games on the Vita that interest me than on 3DS, DS, or PSP. I don't know if it's just my tastes or I'm not looking hard enough but that's probably partially why I like the Vita more than other handhelds.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm

alienjesus wrote:Just to call it out, there are lots of Vita games that appeared on PS3 or PS4 too, but I'd want them on Vita because it's portable. Discussing a system solely for it's exclusives can overlook some of the reasons people might want it.

Agreed. It's part of the reason why I might double dip on - or opt for - a Switch version over another console's counterpart. I prefer to play games on a handheld device and the Vita is probably the most comfortable and best handheld I've ever personally played. It's not too big or too small, the screen is beautiful and it's so damn comfy to hold and play.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Add me there. It took the Vita well too long to get something better than the few worthwhile games in the first many months it was around, and now it is dead and kind of been zombie for awhile before that. Many blew it off for what now most people look to globally buy the Switch for -- portability of console level titles mixed in with a fair bit of true handheld centric gems too. The vita did this before the Switch did, except it never was a TV based choice exactly. I mean there is PSTV but those clowns blacklisted most the games worth a play and took an email/hack trick to enable almost everything which was kind of disgusting and depressing.

I had a Vita early on, had Hot Shots, MVC3, Katamari I think it was, Uncharted, and one more and I played that until I got bored. I kind of wish I still had it, and it's really annoying me still I didn't get in that deal earlier this month for sale as I could actually afford to do that again. :( Given a choice of that or the PS2-lite style PSP which I really enjoyed too, I'd grab at Vita this go around but being realistic unless another stunner of a deal like that happens again, I won't.

The vita if PStv hadn't been gimped was kind of a split run deal of what the Switch does all in one now. You can play on the TV sure, but you're not screwed being anchored to it which is huge to a lot of people for on the go, or just around the home convenience.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I think the Vita will be an interesting thing to collect for for people who like to play those types of games on the go (although I honestly would never want to be caught outside my house playing most of those Xp), as most games coming to Vita, and most of the best games for it, aren't actually exclusive. They have ports or got ports to other systems, whether it be Switch, PC, or PS4. There are a lot of weird/neat games on Vita, but the system only has a few dozen games that are genuinely exclusive (domestically, anyhow).

EDIT: Looking at the list Wikipedia has of Vita-exclusive games, which is certainly not definitive as it's lacking UPPERS at the very least, it seems to me that a lot of the best Vita exclusives never came out in English and are very much not import friendly (Tales of Innocence R, UPPERS, Phantasy Star Nova, to name a few I know of off the top of my head). To the Vita-enthusiasts on here, I'm curious on what your favorite English Vita exclusives are :O (as most of what I've played on it has been games we never got XP)

IIRC, Uppers is coming west on PS4.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I think the Vita will be an interesting thing to collect for for people who like to play those types of games on the go (although I honestly would never want to be caught outside my house playing most of those Xp), as most games coming to Vita, and most of the best games for it, aren't actually exclusive. They have ports or got ports to other systems, whether it be Switch, PC, or PS4. There are a lot of weird/neat games on Vita, but the system only has a few dozen games that are genuinely exclusive (domestically, anyhow).

IIRC, Uppers is coming west on PS4.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
That's SO cool! I absolutely recommend that game. It's great fun! I hope the translation of the dialogue is good :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah, I've pre-ordered the PS4 port. I was really tempted to import the Vita version, but it will be cheaper to wait for the Western PS4 release.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Return to Sony and Microsoft