Dark Souls Hype Thread of Preparing To Die!

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Dark Souls Hype Thread of Preparing To Die!

Post by Stark »

So, I just started playing Twilight Princess. The Titanite Demons in Dark Souls are totally inspired by the Twilight Emissaries, am I right?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Finally got past O&S last night. Won literally the first time I got to the second stage of the fight :lol: Managed to do it without summoning (still have yet to do that for anything).

Prior to that, I'd gone back to do some upgrading, though I don't think it was really the difference (key thing: realizing how readily I could shield block most of Ornstein's hits, rather than roll away, leaving me in better position to attack). Cleared Ceaseless Discharge since I was near there. Poison Arrow'ed Lautrec because he's a dick and it's what he deserved.

After O&S, I went and killed Sif, then went for a detour to the Painted World, which is where I left off.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Yeah, F Lautrec, what a jerk.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Finished the Painted World (let Priscilla live) explored Ash Lake, and did New Londo/Four Kings a couple nights ago. Did the Duke's Archives/Seath last night. DLC stuff worth attempting, or is it much harder or something? (I'm playing on PC, so it was included anyway).
Trying to balance not just rushing through the game with actually wanting to roll the credits (if I can) and move on to other games.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

isiolia wrote:Finished the Painted World (let Priscilla live) explored Ash Lake, and did New Londo/Four Kings a couple nights ago. Did the Duke's Archives/Seath last night. DLC stuff worth attempting, or is it much harder or something? (I'm playing on PC, so it was included anyway).
Trying to balance not just rushing through the game with actually wanting to roll the credits (if I can) and move on to other games.

I was gonna get near the end before doing the DLC, I've heard it is harder.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The DLC bosses are quite hard in comparison to the main game, especially the last boss... just straight up one of the cheapiest bosses in the franchise. Get your fat armor ready. lol
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Beat Nito and I'm onto the DLC, after making a pit stop to kill Petrus, so he doesn't kill the recently rescued Reah.

Xeogred wrote:The DLC bosses are quite hard in comparison to the main game, especially the last boss... just straight up one of the cheapiest bosses in the franchise. Get your fat armor ready. lol

:?
Sanctuary Guardian (who is 2 seconds into the DLC) has straight up roasted me with lightning a couple of times now. Better start playing better or this is gonna take awhile!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Stark wrote: :?
Sanctuary Guardian (who is 2 seconds into the DLC) has straight up roasted me with lightning a couple of times now. Better start playing better or this is gonna take awhile!

Heh, as I noted in Games Beaten, I opted to just not mess with the DLC ones. I backed up my save hive, which I assume I can swap back in if I want to do those, and went on to beat Gwyn with Solaire.
Mostly because I'm not great at juggling games, and felt like playing some other stuff. So, I wanted to roll the credits somehow first. I did buy Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on the Steam sale, and fired that up once...seems very different. Not going to really jump in just yet though.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

isiolia wrote:I did buy Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on the Steam sale, and fired that up once...seems very different. Not going to really jump in just yet though.

It is very different. I tried out Demons' Souls and Dark Souls many times before Dark Souls II came out and they never sunk their teeth in, but I was enraptured by Dark Souls II. I think some of the concessions they made for the new player really helped onboard me to the way these games work. Now I am dangerously close to beating DaS for the first time! So exciting. I can see why people like the level design more in Dark Souls, the way things twist in on themselves, but I don't mind the way "all roads lead to Majula" in Dark Souls II, I thought that was great too!

EDIT: Just got Sanctuary Guardian down to 1 tick of health (probably one more hit.) :( Simultaneously aggravating and encouraging. Means he's beatable, but I was also within one hit. Arg!
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

On to the second boss, who is from the title of the DLC which I thought was surprising. Got to him already? :)

He's harder than the first boss! He's seems a little more relentless and just hard to get out of the way of in general. Not sure what sort of damage he is doing, but I definitely can't shield it all. He's very nimble and gets out of the way of most of my attacks frustratingly.