Biggest Strengths and Weaknesses of the Sony PSP

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Biggest Strengths and Weaknesses of the Sony PSP

Post by racketboy »

Thanks again, everyone!

I have this all collected and pretty much organized on a Google Doc.
Let me know if you'd like to contribute further and I can share the Doc with you for further collaboration!
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

Raging Justice wrote:Strengths: Actual exclusives...unlike the port machine that was its successor. People hate it when they hear that the Vita, the Xbox One, or much more recently, the PS 5, have no games, but it's the truth

Exclusives define a gaming device, and the PSP had a lot of them. To date, it's still more fun to collect for than the Vita is

Couldn't agree more. I still look back fondly on the PSP and appreciate the library of games I have for it, as they are unique to the system. Current gen and some previous gen systems (*Cough Wii U, Xbox One *Cough) seemed pointless to collect for as they have little in actual exclusive games. You can get by with getting the more "mainline" or popular system that saw the same games (i.e. Switch, PS4, PC). The PSP still has exclusives that play well with the hardware, Killzone (isometric), Resistance (which I couldn't believe the FPS worked but I really enjoyed that one), MGS AC!D 1 & 2, along with some unknowns (at least for me) like Brave Story, Half Minute Hero, Generation of Chaos, What did I do to deserve this my lord 2, etc. That to me, is a console/system worth looking into and exploring, much like DreamCast, Saturn, Turbo Grafx etc. When I look at Xbox, or Wii U, which have maybe a handful of games to collect that are actually unique and exclusive to the system, it just isn't worth it.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

has there been an article on psp retro compilations yet?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

opa wrote:has there been an article on psp retro compilations yet?

Noiseredux actually did a brief roundup MANY years ago while the PSP was still active...
https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-psp ... on-library

Obviously, I need to update with all the ones that came out since and revisit any statements made...
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Pretty darn expansive article! There's probably a few others to add as you said. I know FFIV complete added all the WiiWare exclusive chapters. I think there are others too.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Gucci wrote:Another weakness was introduced with the PSPGo revision: a digital only console which removed the disc drive. No program was ever implemented to migrate your physical collection.

Something that is often overlooked on the PSO Go is that you can sync a PS3 dual shock controller to it. Combine this with the component out video and you have an officially supported, consolized PSP.

In today's world of modding, lots of possibilities there but even back then, the ability to play PS1 & PSP games natively with a PS3 DS on a TV always impressed me.

This is a strength of a usually dismissed PSP hardware swan song in the Go.

Almost a PS Vita TV before its time... The Vita then later supported remote LAN play streaming from the PS3. I always felt these 2 scenarios of mobile to TV & reverse were ahead of their time.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:
Gucci wrote:Another weakness was introduced with the PSPGo revision: a digital only console which removed the disc drive. No program was ever implemented to migrate your physical collection.

Something that is often overlooked on the PSO Go is that you can sync a PS3 dual shock controller to it. Combine this with the component out video and you have an officially supported, consolized PSP.

In today's world of modding, lots of possibilities there but even back then, the ability to play PS1 & PSP games natively with a PS3 DS on a TV always impressed me.

This is a strength of a usually dismissed PSP hardware swan song in the Go.

Almost a PS Vita TV before its time... The Vita then later supported remote LAN play streaming from the PS3. I always felt these 2 scenarios of mobile to TV & reverse were ahead of their time.

Excellent thoughts -- thank you!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Alrighty.... the PSP Beginner's Guide is out now!
https://www.racketboy.com/retro/playsta ... ners-guide

Let me know if you think of anything to add / correct / improve!

Thanks to all that helped make it possible!