SMS Controller - Easy Cable Mod

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

SMS Controller - Easy Cable Mod

Post by Ziggy »

So a while back, stickem was nice enough to give me two old SMS controllers (thanks again!). I don't own a SMS, but I play SMS games on my Genesis with an Everdrive. Something about using a Genesis controller for SMS games just feels odd. And I like using authentic controllers.

But like Famicom controllers, I hate that the wire is coming out the side of the controller instead of the top like normal. I did a Google image search and it seems like some SMS controllers have the wire coming out of the top, and some out of the side. Well, it's definitely uncomfortable coming out of the side! Luckily, it's a really easy fix if you have a drill press.

Here's the original controller, with the wire coming out of the side...

Now here's the wire coming out of a new hole that I drilled on the top of the controller...

For the second controller, I realized that I could make better use of the strain relief posts if I drill the new hole more toward the center...

Here's how I jigged it up for the drill press...

And I used a countersink bit to get a nicer looking hole...

You might be able to do this with a hand drill if you're careful enough.

Now, let me see if that D-pad is as bad as everyone says it is! :lol:
Note
Next-Gen

Re: SMS Controller - Easy Cable Mod

Post by Note »

Very cool mod, Ziggy! Thanks for sharing the photos. It's awesome to have some visuals of the process behind the mod and the tools used.

I just recently got a Power Base Mini to play SMS cartridges on my Genesis. I've only played a few SMS games so far, but I'm looking forward to digging a bit further into the console's library. It does feel odd using the Genesis controller, but I have a wireless 8bitdo 2.4g controller which I find really comfortable.

This is a great solution though! Having wires come out of the side of the controller seems like it would be quite a hassle.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks, note! I actually forgot about this thread (LOL no one responded to it until now).

My only way to play SMS is via an Evedrive on the Genesis. These controllers aren't working. But I don't know if there's something wrong with the controllers, of if it's the way I have to use them with the Everdrive. One day, when I get the time, I'll have to test them out more. The problem with using SMS controllers on a Genesis with an Everdrive is that you can't use the SMS controllers in the ED menu. So I tried hot swapping the controllers after the is loaded, but that doesn't work. I actually thought of a novel idea as a work around for this, and I'd really like to try and get that built at some point.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Curious to see what your additional idea and project turns out to be! Definitely share and post about it when the time is ready.