Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Phantasy Star Online - GC via Wii & Nintendont

by Blu Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:44 pm

I am definitely down for playing on Wii / Gamecube. Would love to tinker my softmodded Wii to work on my Wi-Fi. Reminds me I should also get a keyboard adapter. :)
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:29 pm

I have a Wii setup and I used to play PSO on it about 7 or 8 years ago. I sold the retail disc I owned but I think nowadays, there are hacked versions of PSO isos for private servers already configured.

Also, the Xbox version is coming back online next month.

https://insignia.live/
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:11 am

I'm also potentially interested in joining in on some Phantasy Star Online sessions this winter.

I have a Gamecube copy of the game and a broadband adapter. Would I be able to play with this setup, which is exactly what I had at time of release? Other than signing up for one of the private servers, would I need anything else to be able to play online with other RB members?
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Let's Do this!
I will be playing on the GC (via the Wii) even though I have an Insignia invite but don't have the game or an ethernet cable long enough to reach my oXBOX.
The oXBOX and GC can play on the same server though.
Here is the setup for both the GC and the Wii (either with the disc or using Nintendont like me): https://schtserv.com/forums/app.php/pso ... tion-guide
I had to repost the link since they updated the site and the one in the first post didn't work any longer.
Ok, all get set up and let's figure this out!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:15 am

Thank you for posting this tutorial link, SB! I registered an account on Schtserv, setup my Hunter's License, and entered my Serial Number and Access Key information. I think my account to play online using the GameCube is ready to go.

I believe the only thing I need now is a long (25 ft.) ethernet cable to run from the living area where my router is to the room where I have my CRT and older consoles setup. However, I may try to test the connection in my living area with what I have on hand, to confirm I can login to the server. Will try to give that a go tomorrow night.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:03 pm

PXL_20221118_000200987.jpg
PXL_20221118_000200987.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 5891 times

Let's go!
My Hunter Licence:
SpaceBooger

We should set up a topic for this game/meet-up.
Also, I hate playing this and using the pop-up chat thing. Can we use the RB Discord or something to chat while playing?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Looks like an awesome setup! Thanks for posting your Hunter License info too. I totally agree that the pop up chat window is a pain to use, I'm down to use the RB Discord voice chat while playing. That'd be much more convenient.

After setting up my GameCube, plugging in an ethernet cord into the broadband adapter for the first time in how many years, I fired up my system and ... my GameCube no longer wants to read discs. That's a bummer, as I was using it a few months ago without any problems. When the disc drive spins up, it's making a bit of a weird sound my console did not used to make.

I'm gonna call a local game store that offers repairs to see if I can bring it in to get it looked at and how long a repair might take. Annoying setback, but I'm still determined to get this going!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:36 pm

Blu wrote:I am definitely down for playing on Wii / Gamecube. Would love to tinker my softmodded Wii to work on my Wi-Fi. Reminds me I should also get a keyboard adapter. :)

I read that the Wii should work with most USB keyboards... now will it work with Nintendont and GC games?
BLOG | BST
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:09 am

Ok lets get this going! Can anyone meet up between the holidays?
BLOG | BST
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:05 pm

Unfortunately I'm traveling during the holidays this year, but I hope some RB members are able to link up online and get some sessions in!

Once I get back home in early January, I'll get my Gamecube repaired.
Return to Hacks and Mods