Dreamcast GDEMU or SD Adapter

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SpaceBooger

Dreamcast GDEMU or SD Adapter

Post by SpaceBooger »

Looking to get a gdemu mainly for homebrew games and many of the new games (kickstarted) offer downloads that are more cost effective. Wondering if the cheaper SD adapter is an acceptable and more cost effective option?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Re: Dreamcast GDEMU or SD Adapter

Post by Ziggy »

Which "cheaper SD adapter" are you referring to?

Here are some cons for the GDEMU that have always kept me from getting one...

The system you need to use for adding games to an SD card is super annoying. When you set up an SD card for the first time, you need to put a menu file in a folder named 01. When you add your first game, you need to create a folder named 02 and add the game, and the game image needs to be renamed to "disc.cdi" (or whatever image type you're using). Next game needs a folder named 03, and also needs the image renamed to disc.cdi. And so on. When you boot the Dreamcast, the menu will display the actual game names, but not in alphabetical order. Rather, they'll be in whatever order you added them in. And when you browse the SD card on your computer, you'll have just the numbered folders with "disc.cdi" inside of each. You can add a dummy file with the actual game title to each folder. But it's so many extra steps, and then it's still not ideal to use. Check out this YouTube video for a visual of what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sran6frc0gY

The other problem has to do with the Dreamcast's power supply. The GDEMU really only works with the VA1 revision. But even then, it leaves the 12v power rail unused. Without a load on the 12v rail, the voltage spikes and the power supply starts to overheat. So if you're installing the GDEMU, you really want to remove the 12v regulator (a good tip is to turn it upside down and screw it back into the heatsink, that way it's always there if you want to reinstall it). Also, if you have a VA0 revision Dreamcast, you may or may not have a potential problem. People seem to argue back and forth about the VA0's.

Anyways, I just wanted to give you my own 2 cents. I've thought about getting the GDEMU for years now, but these few points (mainly the folder structure) has kept me from getting one. I know the MODE is way more money, especially compared to a GDEMU clone from eBay, but I decided to wait until I had enough money to splurge on the MODE instead. With the MODE, you can drop games onto an SD card (or USB stick or SATA hard drive) as you would expect. You can use whatever folders and sub folders you want, and keep the disc images the actual game names. The MODE menu will alphabetically sort the games for you. The MODE also properly loads the 12v rail, so no worries there. And it works fine with either VA0 or VA1 revisions.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I'm really thinking about the gdemu. As for the 12v I have also heard you can use three 1000 ohm resistors instead of removing the 12v lane.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, some people add a resistor or a 12v computer fan to add a load.

I should have stated, I think the GDEMU is a great option still. From what I've read, the compatibility is great. The shortcomings are on the setup side, but it's still a great option for a drive replacement. There might be a tool out there that can help with setting up the SD card. And definitely deal with the 12v rail any way you can. From what I gather, the PSU overheating can lead to a premature death of the console. Something on the mainboard goes out.

Is burning discs not an option? Or just no longer desired?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have two DC, but am looking into the longevity of the system. Also I really want to play Hydra Castle Labyrinth, but the CDI version freezes when something loads and makes the game hard to play. I'm thinking that if burned discs are hard on lasers in the long run, then why not get rid of the laser?
BLOG | BST
marurun

Post by marurun »

A good burned disc should be just fine. A cheap burned disc will always be cheap.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:A good burned disc should be just fine. A cheap burned disc will always be cheap.

I use Taiyo Yuden (CMC Pro) so it's not the disc that causes that game to play poorly. It's a known issue with the game when burned and not when played via the gdemu.
BLOG | BST
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's kind of perfect if you have two Dreamcasts. You can keep the optical drive in one for whatever legit discs you may have, use the second with an ODE for playing indie/homebrew/backups, and potentially have a backup optical drive.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Were you referring to the older SD card devices that plugged into the serial port? These are extremely limited compared to modern ODE options.
https://kaicolabs.com/product/sega-drea ... -and-disc/
(yes, I know Kaico catches some flack in the community, but not many people still selling these)

These were more of step along the way to ODEs. The retail games have to be patched IIRC & only a subset work. I would call these more of a proof of concept, and it runs some homebrew made with it in mind. Interesting the PS1 PSIO uses a similar method years later.

Although... looks like there is a product that uses similar technology for VMU saves. I didn't know this existed lol.
https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/ ... aptor.html

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There is also some HDD solution for the Dreamcast, but I don't know much about it other than that it exists. You have to install a mod board on the DC main board which enables the DC to make use of a SATA HDD. You have to use an OS for the Dreamcast called DreamShell to make use of it. But I don't know anything else about it.

SATA mod board: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/frOjkyfx

DreamShell OS: https://github.com/DC-SWAT/DreamShell