Discuss all hardware and software modifications
MarauderEX
8-bit

Re: Sega Saturn PC

by MarauderEX Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 pm

I use one type of controller for all the emulators, the logictech F310 gamepad, I had to go through and map all the buttons, I also used a program called xpader to map them as a backup, it also gives me the option of alt-tabing with the controller if I need to regain access to windows

To shell everything I used the program Insta-sheller, its very easy to use, just put the file in your main HD and it pretty much does everything for you, and if you ever need to turn it off just run the program again and it reverts back to normal
Jerkface Killah
32-bit

by Jerkface Killah Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 am

MarauderEX wrote:I use one type of controller for all the emulators, the logictech F310 gamepad, I had to go through and map all the buttons, I also used a program called xpader to map them as a backup, it also gives me the option of alt-tabing with the controller if I need to regain access to windows

To shell everything I used the program Insta-sheller, its very easy to use, just put the file in your main HD and it pretty much does everything for you, and if you ever need to turn it off just run the program again and it reverts back to normal

Neat, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, there is no other video card in that machine other than the integrated one on the motherboard? If that is the case, you think it runs well enough? I ask because this has inspired me to make pretty much the exact same thing and I'd like to plan out the hardware. Thanks.
JFK
MarauderEX
8-bit

by MarauderEX Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

No, there is no other video card, just the on-board graphics

Hyperspin is a very CPU intensive program so it will need at least a dual core to run it without too much slowdown or skipping, but since I went with mostly 8-16 bit systems I didnt need too much graphic power.

Hyperspin does cover systems like n64, sega model 2 arcade, ps1 and is modular to add newer games for windows like street fighter 4 so if your going for more 3d heavy games then my set yp would probably not be powerful enough for good results. It all just depends on what systems/games you are looking to run.
deathsled
128-bit

by deathsled Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

Jerkface Killah wrote:Just to clarify, there is no other video card in that machine other than the integrated one on the motherboard? If that is the case, you think it runs well enough?

emulation is almost entirely CPU dependent and hardly any emulators aside from ones for more modern systems (ps2, wii, etc) leverage the power of the GPU.
BrokenGeode
16-bit

by BrokenGeode Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:55 am

Heh, I'm planning on making a Dreamcast laptop, although all I'm doing is attatching a 5 inch screen to a dreamcast and hardwiring it to the AV ports.
Insert Cool Signature Here
iVirtualZero

by iVirtualZero Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:34 pm

Poor Saturn such a legendary machine, and now this? Gutting it and turning it into a worthless piece of crap. Tasteless people picking generic laggy emulation over authentic hardware. Hopefully the original Sega motherboard, drive and psu was sold to someone that needed it
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:01 pm

iVirtualZero wrote:Poor Saturn such a legendary machine, and now this? Gutting it and turning it into a worthless piece of crap. Tasteless people picking generic laggy emulation over authentic hardware. Hopefully the original Sega motherboard, drive and psu was sold to someone that needed it

Now? Nah, this was ten years ago. Also, the OP states in the beginning that he "was looking for a Sega Saturn case." It wasn't gutted; it was already empty.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:16 am

So funny... I am subbed to his YT channel & I remember him doing this. Missed the RB thread.

Something along the lines on... Saturn was his & wife's favorite console. Got a new TV or capture setup but wanted to capture/view HDMI emulation.

Keep in mind this is well before single boars computers took over emu. Building a micro PC was all over.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm

This is a really strange retro rage necro lol
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:This is a really strange retro rage necro lol

Right? And they were so mad this happened 10 years ago that they created an account just to bump it.
Return to Hacks and Mods