Super Mario Bros. Wonder is...

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is...

Post by Ziggy »

Wonderful!

I watched the first teaser trailer, but ignored all other info since then. I like to be surprised with game content. And I have been surprised by Wonder. It's, of course, fun to play. But it feels really weird. Like they took the New Super Mario Bros formula and injected the craziness from Kirby Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland. I thought the elephant power up was a strange choice, but it oddly works.

I forgot about Charles Martinet retiring from voice acting Mario (and cast). It took a few minutes before I realized Mario's voice is indeed different in Wonder. It's close enough that it doesn't really matter. But every once in a while Mario makes a noise that sounds more like Mickey Mouse.

The animations of Mario getting in and out of tubes has me smiling. For example, if you run into a tube, Mario's hat stays behind and you see his hand reach out and grab it. Reminiscent of Looney Tunes. In elephant form, he has to really squeeze himself into tubes. There seems to be a lot of variety here, which is a nice touch.

The gameplay variety is really nice so far. There's regular levels, then challenge stages. Some of the gameplay mechanics / level design have been really fun so far. There's definitely some challenging ones. One neat thing is that ability to equip different badges which grant different abilities. You can only equip one at a time. It's a neat way to spice things up a bit.

Anyone playing this yet?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Super Mario Bros. Wonder is...

Post by bmoc »

Got it yesterday but...it is a Christmas gift for my son. It is at the top of his list. He wears me out on co-op Mario so I am only somewhat looking forward to it. The 2D Marios since New Super Mario Bros have been kinda samey so I'm am curious what this does differently. I've mostly stayed away from trailers.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Digital Foundry’s John Linneman took a look at Wonder and compared it to NSMB U and basically Wonder fixes most of what was wrong with the NSMB series and feels like a true sequel to the SMB1 -> SMB3 -> SMW entries.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I don't share that complaint of the NSMB series. But if you feel that the NSMB games are all too similar, then rejoice. SMB Wonder injects a whole lot of crazy into the NSMB formula. At its core, it still plays just like a NSMB game. It's just spiced up a bit.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

marurun wrote:Digital Foundry’s John Linneman took a look at Wonder and compared it to NSMB U and basically Wonder fixes most of what was wrong with the NSMB series and feels like a true sequel to the SMB1 -> SMB3 -> SMW entries.

I watched DF's video and I agree with John's assessment. I have played a lot of the New Super Mario Bros games (I think it's just the original on the DS I haven't played) and I have never been much of a fan of them. They just lack something for me.

Super Mario Wonder feels much more interesting in comparison. My only complaint is co-op is still chaotic and often not in a good way, in my opinion. At least characters go through each other now, so you don't have so many occasions where you get in each other's way. I noticed Sonic Superstars got a load of complaints for its co-op, yet the New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Wonder games basically have the exact same problem, except at least in Sonic Superstars you don't lose lives just because another player rushes ahead or disappears off the screen. Weird that the Mario games seem to just get a pass, unless I am missing something and just don't "get" the co-op mode. To me it's just not fun though. I would rather play solo and my son is more or less the same now as he wants to go at his own pace.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

My son has completed Super Mario Wonder :o
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Wonderful indeed! I feel like its the Mario game I've always wanted.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. The talking flowers are extremely charming.

I'm itching to play that Super Mario RPG Remake now. The wait for its release date is hard, especially since I know the game is already available on the high seas. Nintendo first party Switch games leaking early seems to be happening a lot this year.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm also eagerly awaiting the Mario RPG remake! I was hoping to 100% Wonder before then, but it looks like that will not happen. So I will have to take a break from Wonder when Mario RPG comes out.

That said... I rolled the credits on Wonder. The game was a lot of fun! Now I'm going back through and finding items and levels that I missed. One thing that's annoying me is that (unless I'm missing something) you can only see the progress of each level by pressing L to go into the map screen. When you walk up to a level, you get that little pop up. I wish that pop up should the same details that the map screen does. I.e.: 10 coins collected, Wonder berries collected, flag status.

I've been playing most Switch games with Nintendo's Pro controller. But I have always been slightly annoyed with it for games such as this, 2D platformers. My left thumb ends up hurting for the stretching it has to do to use the D-pad. So I ended up picking up the 8BitDo Pro 2 and I've found it loads more comfortable for this game. I think it'll be my new go-to controller for anything that I want to primarily use the D-pad for. Nintendo's Pro controller will still be my choice when I primarily use the joystick. The only annoying thing about the 8BitDo Pro 2 is that you cannot use it to wake up the Switch like you can with a Nintendo Switch controller.

I would miss the underground theme music if the new replacement wasn't so awesome!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I've been playing it docked, and I do something feels a little soreness in the area below my thumb, or sometimes I'll get that feeling you get when the blood hasn't been circulating to a certain area for several minutes. I've really fallen in love with handheld gaming in recent years as it's not something I really experienced much of when I was younger (except for the OG, black and white Gameboy), but it's never 100% percent comfortable for people with big hands.

Sometimes I have to give my hand a break and so I go back to playing Octopath Traveler II on my PS 5 (another great game).

Wonder reminds me of some of my other favorite, stage based, platformers that have come out in the past decade. Puppeteer, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, and New Super Lucky's Tale. It's just a fun game that is easy to pick up and play and it's full of fun surprises. The type of platformer that feels like it was made to put smiles on faces. I haven't really played the NSMB series so I can't compare it to them, but I'm enjoying it more than Super Mario 3d Land and Yoshi's Woolly World, and both of those games are pretty good themselves.

Wonder just has personality.

I wonder if Sonic Superstars is anywhere near as good as this.

EDIT: The 8BitDo Pro 2 looks amazing. I may have to purchase one