NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: eShop Shutdown

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm

With the 3DS eShop closure imminent, it really is your last chance to play through Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball. I played though most of it yesterday, and it is, perhaps, one of the most bizarre games on any system.

It is, mostly, a series of baseball-themed vision training mini-games, and all of them are pretty fun. (Also, they are perfect for stereoscopic 3D.) You unlock items and levels by playing through various challenges, and I suspect that getting a gold medal on every challenge would be quite the endeavor. It is framed, however, by a VN in which you haggle with a washed up former baseball player - the titular Rusty, who is also an anthropomorphic dog - to purchase the mini games. You negotiate the actual price of the game in real US dollars, and getting a good deal on the mini games is, at least, half of the experience. (If you pay full price, skipping all the haggling, the game would likely be $60. I got everything for about $12, though.) It is the bizarrest approach to micro-transactions, and haggling with Rusty - whose wife left him and whose business is failing - is a lot of fun.

Sadly, I think we’ll lose this incredibly unique experience when the 3DS eShop closes in a few days; so, if you’re the least bit interested in this game, don’t wait around much longer!
opa
128-bit

by opa Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:36 pm

You can literally pirate the whole eshop (updates and dlc, too). It's not disappearing.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:40 pm

opa wrote:You can literally pirate the whole eshop (updates and dlc, too). It's not disappearing.

Yeah, there's literally already an eshop equivalent available to anyone with a hacked 3ds. They just replaced the "e" with a different letter. Literally EVERYTHING that was ever available for 3ds can be found on the high seas, even those ambassador certificates.

I'd have gone bankrupt buying up all of the titles I'm interested in on the official eshop, especially with Nintendo not even doing people the courtesy of a big sale

I know some people have ethical issues with piracy, which I respect, but man they are literacy the only guaranteed way that video games get preserved. When all digital storefronts are gone and digital games are all de-listed. These guys will still have your back

PotatoSalad13

by PotatoSalad13 Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:36 pm

Raging Justice wrote:
opa wrote:You can literally pirate the whole eshop (updates and dlc, too). It's not disappearing.

Yeah, there's literally already an eshop equivalent available to anyone with a hacked 3ds. They just replaced the "e" with a different letter. Literally EVERYTHING that was ever available for 3ds can be found on the high seas, even those ambassador certificates.

I'd have gone bankrupt buying up all of the titles I'm interested in on the official eshop, especially with Nintendo not even doing people the courtesy of a big sale

I know some people have ethical issues with piracy, which I respect, but man they are literacy the only guaranteed way that video games get preserved. When all digital storefronts are gone and digital games are all de-listed. These guys will still have your back

What was Nintendo's rationale for not allowing sales on titles and to not let people perpetually be able to view/see old titles anyway? And your argument about "eshop" stuff being backed up way better than Nintendo in some sort of hacked/modded repo thing makes sense, I mean that's how people were able to still play NES and SNES games and all that, through emulation. Though I'm not sure if that eshop thing is an emulator or like a modded repo like I said earlier...
marurun

by marurun Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:06 pm

Nintendo’s rationale is that maintaining the eShops requires server resources and staff time and they consider those markets no longer generating sufficient revenue to justify that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:35 am

marurun wrote:Nintendo’s rationale is that maintaining the eShops requires server resources and staff time and they consider those markets no longer generating sufficient revenue to justify that.

Exactly. Not to mention that whatever security they need in place to continue to be compliant with the laws of each market is probably just not feasible to maintain. It's why you haven't been able to just click "buy" and enter your card details for ages and even longer for us here in Europe. They can't continue to support the hardware forever.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
PotatoSalad13

by PotatoSalad13 Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:56 am

marurun wrote:Nintendo’s rationale is that maintaining the eShops requires server resources and staff time and they consider those markets no longer generating sufficient revenue to justify that.

Fair, I mean that's how it is with the lack of support for stuff like Windows XP, so I agree with you on that. Too bad I can't give you an upvote or anything like that. Or maybe I just don't know where the button is for that is on this site.
Return to Nintendo