NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SpaceBooger

eShop Shutdown

by SpaceBooger Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:58 am

With the 3DS and Wii U eshop set to shut down there are still some 3DS, and maybe some Wii U, titles that I still want. My question is with the price for Dragon Quest VII cart soring and selling for almost $100, is it smarter for me to buy the eShop downloadable version for $40 before it shuts down?
What does everyone think about getting digital games before the shop dies for both Nintendo and other systems?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Re: eShop Shutdown

by marurun Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:02 am

I went the eshop route. You can also find Nintendo store card discount to make it a tad cheaper
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:16 pm

marurun wrote:I went the eshop route. You can also find Nintendo store card discount to make it a tad cheaper

You don't see any real harm buying a retail game on the eShop in 2022 since the carts are so expensive?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:56 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:
marurun wrote:I went the eshop route. You can also find Nintendo store card discount to make it a tad cheaper

You don't see any real harm buying a retail game on the eShop in 2022 since the carts are so expensive?

Pretty much. I decided there were some things that I wanted to play and that was the best way to get them to play.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:14 pm

Bumping this thread as a reminder that the shutdown is imminent. (March 27th)

I'm compiling a list of games and DLC to get before it disappears. I'm planning on the Silver Falls games, some Theatrhythm DLC, and Crimson Shroud on the 3DS. I'm about to startlooking through the WiiU eShop.

What are some of your last minute purchases?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:04 pm

bmoc wrote:What are some of your last minute purchases?

So many games on the Wii U have been ported to the Switch, I wouldn’t stress that system too much. Be sure to pick up games that really can’t come to other systems, such as Affordable Space Adventures and Silver Falls: White Inside Its Umbra, and you might also get some Virtual Console games. (I highly recommend Super Mario Bros. Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 since it includes the e-Reader levels, and you might also consider the NES light gun games, since the Wii U ports can be played on modern displays with a Wii Remote.)

There are a bunch of games on the 3DS that will not be available anywhere else soon, and we’ll lose access to a lot of games with 3DS exclusive stereoscopic 3D features. Accordingly, I’d focus on that system. NintendoLife is running a good series of articles on must-have games if you’re looking for ideas.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:49 pm

Thanks for the Nintendo Life tip. I grabbed another Level-5 3DS game that I didn't know about - Liberation Maiden.

Funnily enough, I went to look up Affordable Space Adventures and I already had it. I got it in a Humble Bundle years ago and never played it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Supposedly, most Capcom games are $2.99 in the WiiU eShop right now. This includes D&D: Cheonicles of Mystara and a bunch of Wii games, like RE4, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Zak & Wiki, etc.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:10 pm

Indeed. I nabbed a few low priority budget titles including D&D because I had around $7 leftover after getting everything that I wanted. I think WayForward games are around 50% off as well.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:26 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Supposedly, most Capcom games are $2.99 in the WiiU eShop right now. This includes D&D: Cheonicles of Mystara and a bunch of Wii games, like RE4, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Zak & Wiki, etc.

I bought 11 games...lmao I'd have bought a couple more if I hadn't run out of room on my 3DS SD card.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Nintendo